Crab Nachos for Denise
  Re: (...)
King Crab "Nachos" - a new recipe and were these ever a hit - they are delicious!!

alaska king crab "nachos"
Gourmet | June 2000
Makes 24 hors d'oeuvres.

24 won ton wrappers
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For filling
1 ripe California avocado
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon wasabi paste
3/4 lb cooked Alaska king crab leg in shell (1 leg), thawed if frozen and split lengthwise (I used lump crab both times I've made this.

Special equipment:
2 mini-muffin pans

Make won ton cups: Preheat oven to 375°F.
Stack 12 won ton wrappers together and trim stack into a 3-inch square. Repeat with remaining won tons. Transfer 1 won ton to an oiled work surface and brush top lightly with some oil. Top with another won ton and brush lightly with oil. Repeat with remaining won tons (this way both sides become lightly oiled).

Put 1 won ton into cup of a muffin pan, pressing it gently into bottom and side to form a cup. Repeat with remaining won tons and sprinkle with salt to taste.

Bake won ton cups in middle of oven until crisp and golden brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer won ton cups to racks to cool (they will continue to crisp).

Make filling:
Scoop flesh from avocado and mash coarsely with a fork.(I used a food processor so I could pipe the guacamole in the cups. then removed to add the rest of the ingredients) Stir in shallot, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and wasabi |to taste. Season with salt and pepper.

Remove crab meat from shell and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Toss crab with remaining tablespoon lime juice and salt to taste.

Spoon guacamole into won ton cups and top with crab. I piped it in - much easier and neater.

Cooks' notes:
• Won ton cups can be made 2 days ahead and kept in an airtight container at cool room temperature.

• Guacamole may be made 4 hours ahead. Chill and cover surface with plastic wrap.

My note: This makes me so angry! I printed this out May of 2005 and I've been sitting on it for this long!! These are so good and great for make ahead and finishing at the last minute for a party. (here's the picture again.)

[Image: crabnachos.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Crab Nachos for Denise by cjs (King Crab "Nachos" -...)
Oh thank you! They are just beautiful too. These will be an excellent addition to my menu. Thank you for sharing Jean!
Yummy! Copied and saved!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Those are beautiful! Easy too. Thank you for sharing (at last!LOL) 2005???????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Crab Nachos for Denise by Harborwitch (Those are beautiful!...)
Me thinks Jean is holding out a lot of goodies on us. (Please note, referring to goodies can be mis-construed as something else. Therefore all reference to 'goodies' in this post here after mean 'food' and 'food products')

I say we plan a raid on her place soon
  Re: Re: Crab Nachos for Denise by DFen911 (Me thinks Jean is ho...)
goodies, goodies, goodies....

It just really ticks me off when I've had recipes for so many years and finally get around to making them and they turn out to be real family favorites!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
these look wonderful! Thank you!
  Re: Re: Crab Nachos for Denise by ozarklm (these look wonderful...)
Welcome Ozark! I'm glad you could join us with all the fun we have.

Oh Jean dear, are you going to make these when I come up? One batch just for me please
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
I love crab--if we could only find a way to get some "old bay" in this---no I love the recipe, and crab!!!--my moniker gives me away!!! Duly copied.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Crab Nachos for Denise by Old Bay (I love crab--if we c...)
Ozark..what part of S. Ca do you hail from? And welcome to the boards! You can find a better bunch of folks around