Retarding Popcorn Bread?
  Re: (...)
Can you and how long? Thanks!

I've got my first loaf and 6 hotdog buns rising now. The rest is in the fridge. Can't wait! I'll use the hotdog buns for the Italian Steak Sandwich with Pepper Mayo tomorrow night. The focaccia is cooling and the turkey tenderloin is going on the grill in about 30 minutes for the muffulettas.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Retarding Popcorn Bread? by Gourmet_Mom (Can you and how long...)
Are you asking if you can hold off baking? Daphne, I just don't know what you're asking - where the heck are the pastry/baking people???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Retarding Popcorn Bread? by cjs (Are you asking if yo...)
Not sure. Although I posted the original recipe, it was from a book that didn't give any further tips.

Certainly turned into a popular recipe, though. I've created a monster! LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Retarding Popcorn Bread? by labradors (Not sure. Although ...)
That's a great question, and I would love to know the answer to that one also. If no one knows, I just might have to experiment with that to find out. We loved the popcorn bread. I really need to make the buns now.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Retarding Popcorn Bread? by Mare749 (That's a great quest...)
My first attempt at "egg" type bread turned out REALLY well! It tastes VERY good! And looks pretty, too! I'll be doing more sandwich style bread this summer...if I can take the heat...LOL!

My hotdog buns on the other hand...LOL...turned into more like hoagie rolls! I now know to make 12-16 buns out of a third of the dough, not eight. Now to figure out how to keep them "skwunched" up...put them on the pan side-by-side? They kinda flattened out. They'll be fine for the sammies, but I want them to "look" better.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Retarding Popcorn Bread? by Gourmet_Mom (My first attempt at ...)
Tried to edit and add, but....

I've stupid dough for several days, but always without egg. Pasta dough I've refrigerated, but froze if not to be used within 24 hours. How long can you retard dough (hold in the fridge after second rise) with egg?

Also, why can't I use my indirect heat grill as a pizza/bread oven? It heats faster and hotter, it's larger, it's cheaper, and best of all, it's outside!

It's getting kinda warm around here...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Retarding Popcorn Bread? by Gourmet_Mom (Tried to edit and ad...)
"(hold in the fridge after second rise)" - thank you.

I just saw the other day instructions for baking bread on the grill. Over indirect heat, rotate pan(s) so each has a chance at the heated side...can't remember where I saw it.

Whoeee! Just remembered!!

This was from a grilling newsletter I receive -
Baking Bread on your Grill

Recipe By: Derrick Riches,

Hot, dry heat makes a grill the perfect baking oven

Yes you can make bread with your grill. Flat breads are a breeze and even raised breads work great. All you need to bake bread is an enclosed space that is heated. For this a grill works perfect. One thing to remember though is that grills can get much hotter than your oven and temperature control is not as precise. Delicate breads that can be a challenge in the oven should be avoided on the grill until you really get the hang of it.

Temperatures: My experience suggests that breads cook faster (sometimes twice as fast) on the grill as they would in the oven. Like I said grills can produce a lot more heat than you traditionally use to bake breads so try to keep a relatively low temperature. Use an oven thermometer placed near the bread to monitor temperatures. Also, because of the natural air flow inside your grill (whether charcoal or gas) you get more convection than you do in your oven.

This is why it is important to keep a close eye on breads when you are grilling.

Flat Breads: You can grill tortillas and pizza crusts quickly and easily by using frozen bread dough. Try using the roll dough because it's already divided into nice pieces. Roll out into thin circles and place on a preheated grill. Watch to make sure they don't burn and remove from the grill when they are a nice golden brown. For tortillas remove while they are still pliable. For pizzas let them get a little stiff, top with pizza sauce, cheese, etc. and put back on the grill until the cheese is melted. I recommend doing only a few at a time (maybe one until you get the hang of it) so you don't burn the bottoms.

A few extra tips:

Pizza stones are great, but before you put any cookware on your grill make sure it is safe to use. Some things do not stand up well to the heat and flame of a grill.

Although not necessary indirect grilling can help create a more even baking environment for breads.

Direct heat can cause the bottom of breads to get burned quickly.

Flat breads need to be able to hold together on your grill. You can place them right on the grate but if the grate doesn't provide enough support you have trouble. Make breads thicker if you have a wide slotted grate.

A bakers peel can be very helpful getting bread on and off the grill. These are those wide board tools you see in bakeries. Super Peel is a great tool, well worth the money, that has a conveyor belt that really makes it easy to get bread onto the grill easily, especially pizzas.

These days many grill makers are touting the versatility of their products. Check with your manufacturers website to see if they have specific accessories to help you bake on your grill.

Cardamom Naan, From Derrick Riches,

Nan, or Naan, is a traditional Indian flat bread. What makes this bread different from many types of flat breads is the wide variety of flavors that are mixed right into the dough. Once you have the basics down, this is a great bread to experiment with.

3 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups lukewarm water (about 110 degrees F.)
1 envelope active dry yeast
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon ground cardamom
1 tablespoon olive oil

PREPARATION:

Dissolve yeast in water and stir in honey. Let sit until it becomes foamy (about 10 minutes). Add olive oil, flour, salt and cardamom and stir until the dough forms into a manageable ball. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 6 minutes).

Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and shape into balls. Set the balls on an oiled baking sheet and brush with additional olive oil. Cover loosely with plastic and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (1 to 2 hours). On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball of dough into an 8-inch disk. Arrange them on oiled baking sheets and let rest for 20 minutes. Light the grill. Brush each nan lightly with olive oil and grill for about 1 minute, until golden on the bottom and light bubbles form on the top. Turn and cook until golden all over (about 1 minute).

Review: "I made with fast acting yeast it took half the time... was wonderful i served with butter chicken. ooooh was it a big hit!"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Retarding Popcorn Bread? by Gourmet_Mom (Tried to edit and ad...)
"It's getting kinda warm around here...LOL!"

That makes me soooo happy!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Retarding Popcorn Bread? by cjs ("(hold in the fridge...)
That naan sounds really really good. If I had any ambition at all today I might make some.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Retarding Popcorn Bread? by Harborwitch (That naan sounds rea...)
Thanks for the info Jean! My list of summer projects is getting longer and longer...LOL! Although, I plan to continue baking bread, so this is not that big a deal, just keeps the kitchen cooler this summer...YEAH!
Daphne