Turtle Caramel Brownies
  Re: (...)
This is a delicious brownie. I usually stear clear of caramel cause it pulls my dentures out, but this was wonderful...nice oven in my new stove

* Exported from MasterCook *

Turtle Caramel Brownies

Recipe By :Marcy Goldman
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Cakes-Pies-Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Caramel Layer
2 14 oz packages caramels -- unwrapped
1 12 oz can evaporated milk
Brownie Layer
3/4 cup unsalted butter
4 ounces semisweet chocolate -- coarsely chopped
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans, walnuts or whatever

For Caramel Layer, melt caramels with evaporated milk in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring often, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat, but keep warm.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 13- X 9-inch pan with buttered parchment paper that you leave overlapping with a 2-inch extension. Place pan on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.

For Brownie Layer, in a medium saucepan, melt butter. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate, whisking until smooth. Cool and then whisk in brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt.

Spread half of batter in prepared pan. Bake 12 to 15 minutes. Using a metal spatula that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, spread caramel filling over bottom brownie layer. Sprinkle nuts over caramel filling. Spread remaining brownie batter over pecans.

Bake another 15 to 18 minutes until top is set. Cool well; then lift uncut brownies out of pan using parchment paper overlap to transport. Chill well, about 45 minutes, before cutting into squares or bars.

Source:
"chocolate, chocolate, chocolate cooking pamphlet, Oxmoor House 2007"
Yield:
"24 cookies"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Turtle Caramel Brownies by bjcotton (This is a delicious ...)
Nothing kills the dentures like one of those "Bit O Honey" candies...trust me, been there done that and have the t-shirt. I too avoid caramel for the same reason but might have to try this one as well...

Thanks for sharing Billy.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Turtle Caramel Brownies by firechef (Nothing kills the de...)
Lost a filling on some milk duds from the movie theater at age 13...OUCH! But love carmel with chocolate! YUMMMMMMMM!!!!!

I'm drooling Billy! Why do you have to bring things like this up at midnight on a Sunday night!!!!! Thank goodness you don't do pictures!!!! Where's the ice cream!?!?!?!? ARGGGG!!!!!

Copied and saved for next weekend, or sooner!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Turtle Caramel Brownies by Gourmet_Mom (Lost a filling on so...)
geez.... be a good test in my new oven, too!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Turtle Caramel Brownies by bjcotton (This is a delicious ...)
Thanks, Billy, copied and printed for the 4th of July party. I like the yield, good to start out with a recipe that makes a lot to begin with. I'm glad you're having fun with your new stove!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Turtle Caramel Brownies by pjcooks (Thanks, Billy, copie...)
Thanks Billy, sounds delish. Now where's that cheesecake recipe you were talking about the other day??? Yummmmmm.....

Jean, what's this about a new stove??? What did I miss???
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Turtle Caramel Brownies by Mare749 (Thanks Billy, sounds...)
I can't find my new cookbook Maryann. I think it's in there. I will keep looking...maybe somebody stole it

Daphne dear, I just couldn't resist:

[Image: CaramelTurtleBrownies.jpg]

Billy
  Re: Re: Turtle Caramel Brownies by bjcotton (I can't find my new ...)
Billy, that's just mean. You're a cruel, cruel man! It'll be the weekend before I can make these...GEEEZ! I immediatly started drooling profusely! I can not visit this thread again before the weekend. Nope, can't do it!

>>>>>closes eyes as she scrolls back to the top<<<<<<<<< Well, maybe one more peek won't hurt. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Turtle Caramel Brownies by Gourmet_Mom (Billy, that's just m...)
Hee hee hee! I just couldn't resist. If you hadn't mentioned the picture I'd have never posted it.

Billy
  Re: Re: Turtle Caramel Brownies by bjcotton (Hee hee hee! I just...)
It's like watching a train wreck....you can't help but look. Drool is now threatening to run out on the keyboard. I actually scrolled back up to see if there was ANY way I could work this in this week....NOT! I'll be lucky to survive the week and make all these new dinners, much less add a dessert. But come Saturday...Watch out! (That is, unless, I'm on the road to Charleston and back by Myrtle Beach...and NO Maryann, there is NO way I could pull this off to bring along...LOL! Well, I don't think so...)
Daphne