Cedar Plank Salmon
  Re: (...)
I know we have visited this before but I did these last night and they came out so good!

I use the cedar planks, about 1/4 thick and soaked for 1 hour prior to cooking. This shot I got when I peeked at them about 3 minutes before they were to come off. I've used the cedar sheets, but the flavor to me isn't as intense as the boards.

[Image: CedarPlankedSalmon.jpg]
  Re: Cedar Plank Salmon by DFen911 (I know we have visit...)
No, they aren't, Denise - at least to me they aren't. I'm with you, I love the cedar planks. great lookin' salmon.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cedar Plank Salmon by cjs (No, they aren't, Den...)
I finally got some planks and can't wait to use them. Soon, very, very soon!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cedar Plank Salmon by Gourmet_Mom (I finally got some p...)
I made the cedar plank salmon from the grilling book and thought it was wonderful. I was roasting potatoes and green beans at the same time and I think I lifted the lid too many times and let out the smoke.

I saved the plank to reuse - scrubbed it of course. Is it okay to reuse the planks?
  Re: Re: Cedar Plank Salmon by HomeCulinarian (I made the cedar pla...)
Yes I get 3-4 uses out of one. If you don't soak them enough they will burn faster. It's why I always soak at least 1 hour up to 4 hours.
  Re: Re: Cedar Plank Salmon by DFen911 (Yes I get 3-4 uses o...)
HC, thanks for that note, I'll have to remember not to undo the point of the smoking affect of the planks by lifting the lid. Also, thanks for the question about reuse...saved me the same question.

Denise, you say 3-4 times and mention burning faster. I will assume now that the thickness of the board determines whether you can use it again? Jean has also mentioned soaking overnight...would this extend the "life" of the board? In other words, how do you know when to "chunk it"?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cedar Plank Salmon by Gourmet_Mom (HC, thanks for that ...)
I was going to make a smart comment here as I have been smoking on the coals in the grill of late. I am in hopes to get some planks and wraps soon and develop other recipes for them...I am glad this is staying at the "forefront" so to speak.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Cedar Plank Salmon by Gourmet_Mom (HC, thanks for that ...)
"Jean has also mentioned soaking overnight..." - I did? I don't remember soaking them overnight....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cedar Plank Salmon by cjs ("Jean has also menti...)
I pitch mine when the burn thru reaches 2/3's. Some pieces burn faster than others do.
  Re: Re: Cedar Plank Salmon by DFen911 (I pitch mine when th...)
Ok more to share. These are scallops that I put a bit of chopped fresh rosemary and basil on, then wrapped them in prosciutto and put a rosemary skewer thru them and cooked them on a cedar plank. I also did tilapia on another board. This time my neighbor was in his backyard and came over "Denise...my lord what are you cooking?! It smells like heaven"

[Image: P1000640a.jpg]