Re: (...)
I need a recipe for Lamb Sausage - I had this at the restaurant
last week - was grilled sausage and Polenta with a tomato sauce
was wonderful

So if any of you have any ideas I would appreciate some help -
This is the first time I have had Lamb Sausage

Thanks for any help
Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Recipe for Lamb Sausage Patties by mjkcooking (I need a recipe for ...)
Marye, I just ran across a recipe for Lamb sausage and polenta somewhere in the last 2-3 days. It even had a picture......shoot, hope I can remember....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Recipe for Lamb Sausage Patties by mjkcooking (I need a recipe for ...)
Here is one from my Mixer Bible cook book. I have not tried it. There is a second one, and I will type that one in too when I have another minute. This one is for Lamb Mustard and Rosemary Sausage, and the other is for Merguez - a spicy North African Lamb sausage that the author says is great with couscous, lentils or slow-cooked with hearty greens.

Lamb, Mustard and Rosemary sausage.

2 lbs trimmed boneless lamb shoulder or leg
8 oz lamb fat (preserved from trimming, plus more if necessary)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup cold water
2 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 feet medium hog casings (optional)

Prepare Bulk Sausage:

Cut lamb and fat into 1 inch cubes. PLace in a shallow container in the freezer for 30 minutes to facilitate grinding. Attach the food grinder with the coarse plate, to the mixer. Set to Speed 4 and run lamb and fat throught the grinder into the mixer bowl.

Add garlic, water, mustard, rosemary, salt, sugar, and pepper to the mixer bowl. Remove the food grinder and attach the glat beater and mixer bowl to the mixer. Set to stir and mix until seasongs are evenly incorporated, about 1 minute.

In a skillet, over medium-high heat, saute a small amount of the sausage mixutre until no longer pink. Taste and adjust seasongs as desired.

Makes 2 3/4 lbs.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Recipe for Lamb Sausage Patties by esgunn (Here is one from my ...)
Ok - here is the other one.

From the Mixer BIble by Meredith deeds and Carla Snyder
Mergues - a spicy North African lamb sausage that is great with couscous or lentils or slow-cooked with hearty greens.

Merguez
2 lbs trimmed boneless lamb shoulder or leg
8 oz lamb fat (reserved from trimming plus more if necessary)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup cold water
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp ground fennel seeds
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground allspice
4 feet medium hog casing (optional)

Cut Lamb and Lamb fat into 1 inch cubes. PLace in a shallow container in the freezer for 30 minutes to facilitate grinding. Attach the food grinder, with the coarse plate, to the mixer. Set to speed 4 and run lamb and fat through the gringer into a large bowl. Add garlic, water, paprika, salt, sugar, cumin, black pepper, fennel, coriander, cayenne pepper and allspice to the bowl. Mix together with your hands. Cover and place in the freezer for 15 minutes. Run through the grinder again into a bowl.

In a skillet, over medium-high heat, saute a small amount of the sausage mixture until no longer pink. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.

Makes 2 3/4 lbs.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Recipe for Lamb Sausage Patties by esgunn (Ok - here is the oth...)
Thank you both -

I 'am thinking that the second recipe you sent Erin is closer to the one at
the Restaurant - It was a pattie - with two nice size pieces of polenta
with a red sauce and cheese - yumo !

I will give it a try and see how it turns out

Thanks again for your help.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Recipe for Lamb Sausage Patties by mjkcooking (Thank you both - [...)
Those both do look good, Erin!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Recipe for Lamb Sausage Patties by cjs (Those both do look g...)
Oh My Goodness!! I sure hope Cis sees this - we need to do another African/Ethiopian dinner!!! These sausages are just wonderful!!

The Merquez (North Africa Lamb Sausage) is the very best I think I have every made. The flavors - wow!

Marye, did you ever make either of them? I'm thinking the Merquez served the way you mentioned you'd had it is something I've just got to try!

Marye's dish - "It was a pattie - with two nice size pieces of polenta with a red sauce and cheese - yumo !"

Erin, I'm so glad you had that book - now off to look for the book and ideas for using these sausages.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Recipe for Lamb Sausage Patties by cjs (Oh My Goodness!! I s...)
My husband just bought a meat grinder for the Kitchen Aide and he's anxious to try sausages. He's also on a lamb kick so this sounds utterly perfect.

Where would you buy the sausage casings? We do have an Italian market (Claro's) and a small little sausage shop in town. Maybe they'd sell the casings?
  Re: Re: Recipe for Lamb Sausage Patties by Trixxee (My husband just boug...)
I'm sure they would sell you some, Trixxee

Or for the Merquez, anyway, I'm going to leave this batch (at least most of it) in bulk and use them for meatballs and patties and maybe even as a pizza topping (a grilled pizza topping, Daphne... )

Both of the sausages are really good!
www.achefsjourney.com