Ginger Ginger Cake
  Re: (...)
I haven't made this one yet...don't have an AngelFood cake pan, but I'm a gonna!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Ginger Ginger Cake

Recipe By :Maida Heatter
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Cakes-Pies-Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
6 ounces candied ginger root (about 3/4 cup)
3 ounces fresh ginger (a piece about 3 to 4 inches long and about 1 inch thick)
8 ounces unsalted butter (2 sticks)
2 3/4 cups granulated sugar
6 large eggs -- separated
1 cup sour cream

Adjust a rack one-third up from the bottom of the oven and preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 10 x 4 1/4-inch angel-food tube pan (it may be a one-piece non-stick pan) with an 18-cup capacity; butter the pan even if it has a nonstick finish. Dust it all over with fine, dry bread crumbs, invert it over paper and shake out excess crumbs, and set the pan aside.

Sift together the flour and baking soda and set aside.

Cut the candied ginger into 1/4- to 1/3-inch pieces and set aside. Grate the fresh ginger and set aside.

In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter until it is soft. Gradually beat in the grated fresh ginger and 2 1/4 cups of the sugar (reserve the remaining 1/2 cup). Then beat in the egg yolks.

On low speed, gradually add the sifted dry ingredients in two additions alternately with the sour cream in one addition. Remove the bowl from the mixer.

Stir in half of the diced, candied ginger (reserve the remaining diced, candied ginger). Set aside.

In the small bowl of the electric mixer (with clean beaters), beat the egg whites until they hold a soft shape. Reduce the speed to moderate and gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar. Then increase the speed again and beat only until the whites hold a peak when the beaters are withdrawn.

In three additions, fold the whites into the batter; with the first two additions fold only partially--do not be too thorough--and with the last addition do not fold more than necessary to incorporate the whites.

Turn into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with the reserved candied ginger.

Bake for about 1 1/2 hours, until a cake tester inserted gently into the cake comes out clean. (The cake will not rise to the top of the pan.)

Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes. (The cake will sink about an inch as it cools.) Then cover the pan with a cake plate and, holding the pan and the plate firmly together, turn them over; remove the pan and let the cake cool.

Source:
"Maida Heatter's Cakes"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This is not even remotely like "gingerbread." It is a moist sour cream cake made gingery with generous amounts of both fresh and candied ginger. The texture is somewhat like a pound cake but more moist than most. During baking, part of the candied ginger will settle to the bottom of the cake, which will become the top when it is turned out of the pan, and it will have a deliciously chewy and candy-like texture. I made this for a friend who is crazy about candied ginger; he said the longer he kept it the better it got. (This has no salt; it doesn't need it.)
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Ginger Ginger Cake by bjcotton (I haven't made this ...)
You know Billy, I'm now wondering who's got the sweet tooth....LOL!

How am I gonna keep (find) my girlish figure with all these GREAT dessert recipes?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Ginger Ginger Cake by Gourmet_Mom (You know Billy, I'm ...)
Must be ginger week: I just tried my first attempt at homemade ginger ale.

It was very good, but my friends and I agreed it was WAY too much ginger. The recipe called for 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of grated fresh ginger, and I only used 1 1/2, but will probably try half that the next time.

The carbonation from the yeast was just right and, unlike some of these types of things I have tasted before, there wasn't an obtrusive yeast taste at all.

Will definitely try again, but with half the ginger.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Ginger Ginger Cake by labradors (Must be ginger week:...)
I was just reading through my Maida Heatter's Cakes when I saw that recipe and it appealed to me. I rarely eat more than a small piece of any cake/pie/etc., I make. Especially cheesecakes..there a 1/2" slice is all I want and I give the rest away.

Billy
  Re: Ginger Ginger Cake by bjcotton (I haven't made this ...)
Do try this one, Billy, I made this many years ago when I first bought this cookbook. Very good cake, thanks for bringing it up!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Ginger Ginger Cake by pjcooks (Do try this one, Bil...)
I intend to PJ, just have to get me an Angel Food Cake pan. It sounds soooooooo good.

Billy
  Re: Re: Ginger Ginger Cake by labradors (Must be ginger week:...)
I make homemade gingerale in the summer! Kids love it and so do grown ups. I am gonna have to try Billy's cake too. Hmmmm I believe I have the Maida Heater's book around here to Thanks again Billy.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Ginger Ginger Cake by luvnit (I make homemade ging...)
We used to make rootbeer when the kids were home, but have never made gingerale - recipe anyone?????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ginger Ginger Cake by cjs (We used to make root...)
Quote:

...have never made gingerale - recipe anyone?????

The recipe I used is at the link in my earlier post.

Laura, would you please share your recipe, as well, for Jean's benefit and for me to compare? How "gingery" is it? Maybe it's just the freshness of the ginger we have here, but I probably would only use half the amount of ginger specified. It was MUCH stronger than Canada Dry.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Ginger Ginger Cake by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
off to look, labs - thanks. Yes please Laura.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com