Quick AND Good!!
  Re: (...)
This is especially for those of you still working (poor devils that you are.... ) and need quick ideas for weeknite dinners. This was on a Nigella's Express program I had taped and watched night before last; it looked so good, I changed my mind on dinner last night and did this one.

It's so simple and so quick - even if the meat is straight from the freezer, by the time you gather all ingredients, it will be thawed enough to use.

Flash-Fried Steak with White Bean Mash
Nigella Lawson's Express Book

1/4 cup plus 2 tsp. olive oil
1 clove of garlic, crushed
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
3 14-oz. cans white beans
~ 2 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped, optional
salt and pepper to taste
4 thin-cut sirloin or entrecote staks, about 5 oz. each

First get on with the beans: put the 1/4 cup olive oil in a saucepan, add in the garlic, add the lemon zest, and warm through.

Drain the beans and rinse under a tap to get rid of the gloop, then add to the pan and warm through, stirring and squishing with a wide, flat spoon so that the beans go into a nubbly mush. Add the rosemary, if using, and season to taste; some beans come saltier than others. Drizzle 1 tsp. of the oil over the beans when serving.

Meanwhile, heat a tsp. of oil in a large skillet and cook the steaks on high for 1 1/2 min. (I did 1 minute) a side.
remove to warmed plates, sprinkling some salt & pepper, to taste, over them as you do so.

Squeeze the lemon juice into the hot pan and let it bubble up with the meaty oil, then pour over the steaks. Serve immediately with the mash.
Serves 4.

----

I toasted a couple pcs. of sourdough and rubbed with a garlic clove to serve with this and I don't know which the beans were better with - the steak or schmeared on the toasts. This was really a great combination and not more than 1/2 hour!!

And, for dessert, on the show she served Instant Chocolate Mousse - so, naturally, holding true to the show, I had to make it also....it's good!! She says it serves 4-6, but I'd go for 8, it's so rich.

[Image: chocmousse.jpg]

Instant Chocolate Mousse
Nigella Lawson's Express Book

1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
4 T. butter
9 oz. best-quality semisweet chocolate, chopped into small pcs.
1/4 cup hot water from a recently boiled kettle
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Put the marshmallows, butter, chocolate, and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.

Put the saucepan on the stove over fairly gentle heat to melt, stirring every now and again. Remove from the heat.

Meanwhile, whip the cream with the vanilla until thick and then fold into the cooling chocolate mixture until you have a smooth, cohesive mixture.

Pour/scrape into 4 glasses (I would do 8), about 3/4 cup in capacity, or 6 smaller (1/2 cup) ones, and chill until you want to eat.

I grated white chocolate over the mousse at serving.

---

the whole dinner didn't take an hour, I'm sure.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Quick AND Good!! by cjs (This is especially f...)
Gads that looks really really good! I think we'd wind up with the beans and the garlic bread with the steak as an afterthought.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
That sounds really good Jean. Thanks for sharing!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Quick AND Good!! by esgunn (That sounds really g...)
Erin, you could sure use a fast dinner like this one!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
This is good, Jean, I've done the beans with sage for years, never thought of rosemary.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Quick AND Good!! by pjcooks (This is good, Jean, ...)
Thanks Jean. We've not been much on beans (other than southern types), but I'm planning on trying some of her ideas. I picked up her book again, How to Eat, that I bought a few months ago, and there are a lot of quick and easies in there like this. I've dog-eared it quite a bit.

She also does a lot of roasts of beef, chicken, and lamb that you put in and forget for a bit. I like these since I get home "fairly" early and like to put something on and forget it for an hour or so while I sit on the deck and rest. Then take it out, whip up a quick side while it rests, and eat.

I especially love her advice on roasted baby potatoes (which are about ready to take out of the garden). I never thought of tossing with semolina (or flour if you have to) after parboiling and throwing in hot fat in the oven.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Quick AND Good!! by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Jean. We've ...)
What is that Jean? Mashed pinto beans in that glass with cottage cheese on top?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Quick AND Good!! by bjcotton (What is that Jean? ...)
I love that bean mash idea!! I do cauliflower mash to replace potatoes sometimes, and this just sounds tasty and fun.

I'm so playing with this when all the crazyness passes this weekend

Jean when are you guys coming down?
  Re: Re: Quick AND Good!! by DFen911 (I love that bean mas...)
Not until the fall. We've decided because it's USUALLY so nice around here in the summer, we'll just travel in the fall and springtime. But, also with the kitchen remodel, the pennies are going in a different direction than gas for traveling...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Quick AND Good!! by cjs (Not until the fall. ...)
We're looking forward to your trip! We were hoping to head your direction this fall - but maybe Spring! Bob hasn't seen Washington in the Spring.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!