Popcorn bread?
  Re: (...)
I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with this. I made some yesterday and had trouble with it rising. I have three possible explainations...

-I did not have regular milk, so used straight evaporated milk.
-The canned milk was room temp and was not cold enough to off-set the hot water...the yeast didn't really "bubble" like it did last time.
-I halved the recipe and could have goofed the measurments. (I used MC9 to change the measurements, though.)

Any ideas? It did appear to begin rising hours later, so I stuck it in the fridge until today. I guess I'll set it out and see what happens today. We'll see what I get when I finally get to bake it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Popcorn bread? by Gourmet_Mom (I was wondering if a...)
I would check the date on my yeast. We buy ours by the pound at Costco - for under 4.00. If it starts losing it's mojo (usually about half way through it) we toss it and get fresh. The same thing with baking powder.

I haven't had a problem with the popcorn bread at all - except keeping enough around, so I always make the full recipe. I just make 1 or 2 loaves of bread and the rest into buns (hot dog or hamburger). I slice the bread, bag it, and freeze it and freeze the buns till we need them.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Popcorn bread? by Harborwitch (I would check the da...)
I hadn't thought of slicing and freezing. I just need some top split rolls for the shrimp salad. I guess we'll be having buns, maybe, to freeze. It is good stuff, though. I think I like it best as buns.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Popcorn bread? by Gourmet_Mom (I hadn't thought of ...)
I haven't had any trouble with it either - and I also make the full recipe so I can make different shapes and then freeze.

I can't make anymore bread for a while!!!!!

Yesterday was pizza dough day - my regular dough, I made a double batch for small pizzas on the grill.

Then I made the dough for Barbarainyc's Lathenia pizza (Greek pizza thread) and just froze it, haven't done anything with it yet.

and the third was that Georgian Cheese Bread (I just wrote a review of that!!! )

Anyone working on a low carb diet better not come near my house for a while.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Popcorn bread? by Gourmet_Mom (I hadn't thought of ...)
I put some garlic herb seasoning the Billy gave me in this last batch - oh man oh man oh man! Really good. I'm considering some other little goodies in it.

(Bob's brother gave me one of those bread slicing guides for Christmas or something years ago - I use it now to get even slices of bread pan bread for the freezer.)
  Re: Re: Popcorn bread? by Harborwitch (I put some garlic he...)
The only problem I had with its rising was I had forgotten how long the final rise (in the loaf pans) was, and had preheated the oven too early. So, to save gas, I turned off the oven. Then by the time the final rise was done, the oven hadn't reheated to the right temperature, yet, so I had to wait a bit, and the dough REALLY rose. Thus, I lightly tapped it down (not quite as severe as punching it down) a bit before baking it, and it came out fine.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Popcorn bread? by labradors (The only problem I h...)
I baked the buns inside, but to keep the house cool we turned the oven off and put the bread in the center of the preheated (350) grill with just the outside burners on. It took a few minutes longer to bake, and the crust came out a little darker, but the bread was perfect.

God I love this bread dough.
  Re: Re: Popcorn bread? by Harborwitch (I baked the buns ins...)
Thanks for being the guinea pig Sharon. I'll be trying this later this week.

I finally got the bread to rise enough to make hamburger buns, which we used last night. There was a decided difference in the texture, so I will be going back to the way I made it the first time. Cold milk mixed with the hot water before adding to the yeast (after checking date on yeast) and using the whole recipe.

It is truly awesome bread....the flavor and texture (when done correctly) is unbelievable. I guess for true comparison, I'll have to try a few other sandwich type bread recipes, but this one's gonna be hard to match.
Daphne
  Re: Popcorn bread? by Gourmet_Mom (I was wondering if a...)
I have a question...What type of popcorn do you all use?
I no longer have a popcorn maker, and all we have is microwave butter.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Popcorn bread? by esgunn (I have a question......)
I just use the Orville guy's microwave butter popcorn. My girlfriend was going to try it with a kettlecorn flavor - might be good for cinnamon bread.

It's hard to beat this bread. I've got a loaf of 18 hour that I have to get ready to bake - trying to figure out if I want to heat the oven or not it's 96 outside, just 82 in here and we aren't at the heat of the day yet - and I haven't turned on the AC yet!