Khachapuri - Greek Pizza
  Re: (...)
The other day Barbarainyc posted about greek pizza and the recipe is one I found on epicurious - I made it this a.m. and oh my, one of the most delicious and decadent things I've tasted in a long time!!!!

We had it with sausage and a fruit platter
[Image: georgiancheesebread.jpg]

georgian cheese bread
Gourmet | May 2008

In the remote mountains of Georgia, the star ingredient of this bread called khachapuri—akin to pizza—is the firm but creamy salted cow's-milk cheese called sulguni. A blend of Havarti and mozzarella will give you a similar velvety texture.

Makes 1 (11-inch) pie; serves 8

Adapted from Natia Gigani, Caucasus Travel Ltd., Republic of Georgia

2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (a 1/4-oz package)
7 tablespoons warm water (105-115°F)
1 2/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, divided
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 lb Havarti cheese, coarsely grated
1/4 lb salted mozzarella, coarsely grated
1 teaspoon unsalted butter, melted

Equipment: a floured pizza pan (at least 12 inches) or a floured large baking sheet

Sprinkle yeast over warm water and stir in 1 tablespoon flour.

Let stand until creamy, about 5 minutes. (If yeast does not activate, start over with new yeast.)

Stir together salt and remaining flour in a large bowl, then stir in egg and yeast mixture to form a dough.

Turn out dough onto a well-floured surface and turn to coat with flour, then knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.

Form into a ball and dust with flour. Let dough rest in a bowl, covered with plastic wrap, punching down with a wet fist every hour, at least 2 hours and up to 3. (I put it in the fridge overnite)

Preheat oven to 500°F with rack in middle.

Turn out dough onto floured pizza pan, turning to coat, then flatten with your fingers into a 7-inch disk.

Toss together cheeses and press into a compact 3-inch ball with your hands.

LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT CHEESE!!
[Image: bread1.jpg]

Place ball in middle of dough, then gather dough up around ball of cheese, squeezing excess dough into a topknot. Press down on topknot with a damp fist to press cheese out from center. Continue to flatten dough and distribute cheese evenly, pressing outward from center, until dough is an 11-inch disk.

Cut a 6-inch X through top of dough to expose cheese.
[Image: bread2a.jpg]

Bake until pale golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Brush surface of dough with butter and bake until golden and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes more.
[Image: bread4.jpg]

Serve cut into wedges.

Cooks' note: Dough can be made 1 day ahead and chilled in bowl (for a slow rise), covered with plastic wrap.

Punch down and bring to room temperature before proceeding with recipe.

------

Good Lord this is good!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Khachapuri - Greek Pizza by cjs (The other day Barbar...)
That looks soooo good! Ooooey Goooey!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Khachapuri - Greek Pizza by cjs (The other day Barbar...)
Okay! I'm drooling on the keyboard! Gonna have to make this this week. Thank you!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Khachapuri - Greek Pizza by Harborwitch (Okay! I'm drooling ...)
I'm anxious to have some this afternoon at cocktail (well, in our case - wine) time with a heavy cab. Maybe a little rhubarb-jalapeno jam garnish....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Khachapuri - Greek Pizza by cjs (I'm anxious to have ...)
Now that is a day off project I could enjoy...unfortunately I do not have one scheduled for the next six weeks. Isn't a salary job wonderful? Pay you for 45 hours a week and have you work 63+...

Isn't the Republic of Georgia a former Soviet Republic not a Greek Provence???
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Khachapuri - Greek Pizza by firechef (Now that is a day of...)
Quote:

Now that is a day off project I could enjoy...unfortunately I do not have one scheduled for the next six weeks. Isn't a salary job wonderful? Pay you for 45 hours a week and have you work 63+...

Isn't the Republic of Georgia a former Soviet Republic not a Greek Provence???

I did 63+ for 40 years and have no desire to redistribute the wealth now that I have some security.

Georgia is a former Soviet (reluctantly) state with a rich history and pride.
Right on both counts.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Khachapuri - Greek Pizza by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Why I dislike the geography part of, what's that game we were all playing 10 years ago....starts with a "T"

Greek, Georgian, Soviet, whatever - this is darn good!
www.achefsjourney.com