Review - Free-Form Peach Tart; Issue 16
  Re: (...)
A colleague of my hubby is undergoing treatment for cancer. Her co-workers have made a schedule for people to make meals for them over the course of her treatment. Our turn was for yesterday. Along with some pulled pork for sandwiches, homemade potato salad and fresh fruit salad, I made the Free-Form Peach Tart with a pistachio layer from issue no. 16. It's featured on the cover of that issue. My daughter has made it several times and raves about it. So, I made two - one for the dinner gift and one to keep for us. It is a great recipe. I was going to bring up its review from the forum and did a search on "peach tart" and it came up empty. If one of the Members Plus folks could find it and post the recipe, that would be great. It's a little long.

I was able to find some fresh California peaches with really good flavor at our store here. I couldn't find already shelled pistachios, and admit I got a little weary of shelling two cups of pistachios! Also, had to keep slapping hubby's hand trying to snack on them rather than shelling his own! I used natural sugar on the egg wash, which added some sparkle. It is a nice fruit dessert alternative to pie. And, the recipient was really impressed and happy to receive it.
  Re: Review - Free-Form Peach Tart; Issue 16 by HomeCulinarian (A colleague of my hu...)
For the Cornmeal Tart—
Combine in Bowl:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup yellow or white cornmeal
2 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt

Blend in Using Fingers:
1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter, cubed

Mix in by Tablespoons:
6 –8 T. ice water

For the Pistachio Spread—
Pulse in Processor:
1 cup pistachios, shelled (reserve 1/4 cup to use for garnish)
1/4 cup sugar

Add and Pulse:
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/8 t. almond extract

For the Peach Filling—
Peel, Pit, and Slice:
10 peaches

Toss with:
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 T. lemon juice
2 T. rum
1 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. salt

Whisk Together:
1 whole egg
1 T. water

Sprinkle on Dough and Bake:
Granulated sugar

Brush on Baked Tart Fruit:
Reserved peach filling juices

Garnish Tart Slices with:
Almond-flavored Whipped Cream
Reserved pistachios, chopped
Powdered sugar

For the Almond-Flavor Whipped Cream—
Whip to Soft Peaks:
1 cup whipping cream
1 T. sugar
2 drops almond extract

For the crust, combine dry ingredients in a small bowl.

Blend cold butter and “flatten” cubes into flour, pressing them between your fingers.

Mix in ice water by tablespoons using a fork. If dough is dry, add another tablespoon water—it should hold together, but not be wet. Press the dough into a smooth, round disk—it rolls out neater that way. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes before rolling out. To make the Pistachio Spread, shell the nuts, and place in food processor with sugar.

Pulse until nuts are finely ground.

Add the cream and extract; pulse to combine. The mixture will be thick. Transfer to a bowl, cover and set aside.

Peel peaches - cut an “X” in the bottom first. Blanch them in boiling water 20–30 seconds (depending on ripeness). Immediately transfer the peaches to ice water to stop cooking. (This is called “shocking.”) The peel should slip right off the fruit. Slice peeled peaches into quarters.

Toss with sugar, juice, rum, vanilla, and seasonings. Set aside while you roll out the tart dough. Preheat oven to 400°. Roll out dough on half-sheet of parchment to 13" across and 1/8" thick. Transfer tart dough to baking sheet. Carefully spread pistachio filling over the bottom of the crust, leaving 3" margin on all sides. Use slotted spoon to mound the peaches on the pistachio spread—but save that juice! Use parchment to help you fold crust up and around the fruit.

Whisk together egg and water in a small bowl. Brush egg wash on dough.

Heavily sprinkle egg washed areas with sugar. Bake tart on rack in lower third of oven, 45-50 minutes. Don't worry if fill leaks out a little.

Brush fruit with reserved juices.

Whip cream, sugar, and almond extract to soft peaks for garnish.

Garnish with flavored whip cream, pistachios, and powdered sugar.

[Image: R016_041_R01.jpg]
  Re: Re: Review - Free-Form Peach Tart; Issue 16 by DFen911 (For the Cornmeal Tar...)
Yummy! That looks sooo good! I'd planned on trying one of those free form tarts this summer, so here's my recipe. I'll have the same problem with hubby and the pistachios....Too funny HC!

Thanks for the review HC and the recipe Denise!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review - Free-Form Peach Tart; Issue 16 by Gourmet_Mom (Yummy! That looks s...)
oh my, that's a must!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com