Jean? On the Asian Ribs
  Re: (...)
Hey Jean hope you're around. On the directions for the ribs, particularly the sauce, it says to rough chop the ginger. But later it says to brush the mixture onto the ribs. Very hard to brush rough chopped ginger. Did you put all the ingredients for the sauce into the food processor? Also is the sauce suppose to be cooked first? Or cooked and then pureed? I think I'm missing a step
  Re: Jean? On the Asian Ribs by DFen911 (Hey Jean hope you're...)
Sorry - I was havin' fun, missed your post. I just minced the ginger and enuf adhered.

The sauce? I'll have to go look - its been more than an hour since I made this and you know my memory. (where the heck was that recipe?)

O.K., I found the recipe instructions - Denise, are you missing part of the recipe? It does say to rough chop, but then to put all in blender/processor -

"Puree in blender the mint leaves, sugar, vinegar, ginger, and red pepper flakes for the Cucumber Salad.

Toss with thinly sliced cucumber. Serve chilled. To prepare two racks of spareribs first remove the skirt flap from the sinew side of the ribs. This can be grilled. Then, cut off the breast plate and feather bones. This can be grilled. Remove the sinewy membrane by pulling with a paper towel. Trim some of the unnecessary fat from the ribs. “Dock” the meat with a fork between the bones for extra flavor.

Combine ingredients for rub and apply to ribs. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Roast ribs at 250° for about 2 hours. This isn’t an exact science so check the ribs after 1 1/2 hours. The meat should pull away from the bones and the fat should be rendered. Roasting may take longer.

Stir together ingredients for sauce. Brush on roasted racks of ribs before grilling.

Grill over medium-high heat a total of 15 minutes. Serve ribs with Asian-Lime Sauce and chilled mint cucumbers."

What did you end up doing?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean? On the Asian Ribs by cjs (Sorry - I was havin'...)
Quote:

...its been more than an hour since I made this and you know my memory. (where the heck was that recipe?)

What recipe?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Jean? On the Asian Ribs by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean? On the Asian Ribs by cjs ( [img]/ubbthreads/im...)
For the cucumbers it said to --

Puree in blender the mint leaves, sugar, vinegar, ginger, and red pepper flakes for the Cucumber Salad.

Toss with thinly sliced cucumber. Serve chilled.

Then for the ribs it says -

For the Asian-Lime Sauce-

Stir Together:
3 T. ginger -- coarsely chopped
2 T. garlic -- coarsely chopped
3/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 T. dark sesame oil
1 T. crushed red pepper flakes

To prepare two racks of spareribs first remove the skirt flap from the sinew side of the ribs. This can be grilled. Then, cut off the breast plate and feather bones. This can be grilled. Remove the sinewy membrane by pulling with a paper towel. Trim some of the unnecessary fat from the ribs. "Dock" the meat with a fork between the bones for extra flavor.

Combine ingredients for rub and apply to ribs. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Roast ribs at 250° for about 2 hours. This isn't an exact science so check the ribs after 1 1/2 hours. The meat should pull away from the bones and the fat should be rendered. Roasting may take longer.

Stir together ingredients for sauce. Brush on roasted racks of ribs before grilling.

Now this is where I got confused because for the lime sauce coarsely chopped isn't a good consistency for brushing.

So I ended up putting everything, except the red pepper flakes, into the ol food processor and blending it to a smoother consistency, then I added the red pepper flakes back to the mixture.

These ribs were fantastic!! Holy cow we ate a whole rack and some of the trimmed off pieces I grilled. The sauce was so tasty. These are a do again and again and again. I even did a couple of chicken breasts for my daugther and those came out great.
  Re: Re: Jean? On the Asian Ribs by DFen911 (For the cucumbers it...)
oh crap, I've had some champagne - I'm not reading right, I guess. But, if all was delicious, guess you did it correctly.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean? On the Asian Ribs by cjs (oh crap, I've had so...)
Champagne...MMmMmMmm
  Re: Re: Jean? On the Asian Ribs by DFen911 (Champagne...MMmMmMmm...)
I did not blend the sauce. I either chopped the ginger very small or grated it. It was a little chunky - but the flavor was there for the basting and I liked the little chunks in it for the dipping sauce. I ate that dipping sauce on a lot of leftover stuff - especially grilled chicken.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.