"O'Brienesq" Potatoes
  Re: (...)
I'm also serving potatoes Sunday and this is my take on Potatoes O'Brien. This turned out to be a great dish to make ahead for a company brunch also.

Roasted Potatoes

4 lb small (1 1/2- to 2-inch) boiling potatoes such as white, Yukon Gold, or Red Bliss, peeled and diced
3/4 cup rendered goose fat, reserved from roast goose, or duck fat (I used duck fat)
Good sh*t (kosher, white pepper & powder garlic)
-----
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
2 stalks of celery
1/2 onion
3 slices bacon

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, add the potatoes and par-cook just 2-3 minutes, drain into a colander then spread on a baking sheet to cool quickly. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder. set aside.

In a large skillet, sauté the bells, celery, onion and bacon, which have all been diced – cook just until barely tender. You don't have to add any fat/oil to this skillet.
Spread this mixture over the potatoes on the baking sheet, cover and chill overnight.

When ready to finish the potatoes, melt the duck fat (or whatever fat you are using)and toss potatoes and veggies with goose fat in a bowl. Spread potatoes in 1 layer in a large roasting pan and roast in middle of oven, turning once, until golden, about 30 minutes. check for seasoning and toss with salt and pepper, if needed. 8 servings.
----
Since I'm doing so many for the buffet, I baked these in a 8X8 square pan to see how they would turn out not being in a single layer - I tossed twice during the baking and also stuck under the broiler for just a minute at the end to crisp up a tad. They tasted fine this way also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: "O'Brienesq" Potatoes by cjs (I'm also serving pot...)
Really sounds good--most people don't know how rich and tasty waterfowl fat is.
It's really neat to add shreaded duck meat and stock with some fat to a standard gumbo too.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: "O'Brienesq" Potatoes by Old Bay (Really sounds good--...)
I got a good price at Whole Foods for 2 pounds of duck fat. It's been a while ago, so I don't remember. My taster must not be subtle enough to taste the difference or maybe reacts only to stronger flavors cause I fried potatoes in duck fat and didn't notice any added flavor over vegetable oil. Now with bacon fat there was a definite difference.

Thanks for the recipe Jean, we do like Potatoes O'Brien.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: "O'Brienesq" Potatoes by bjcotton (I got a good price a...)
Thanks for the do ahead here Jean. The duck fat, I've got to work on. HMMMM? Do you make that much duck to get that much fat?

And then I look on the lake and see all those ducks...HMMM?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: "O'Brienesq" Potatoes by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the do ah...)
We have duck breasts quite often in the winter and I collect that fat like gold! Also, when I can get a whole duck for a good price, I'll use the scraps to get the fat. I have quite a bit in the freezer. I used some of my 'horde' for testing, but I'll purchase the duck fat for the wedding brunch - no way will I deplete my stash.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: "O'Brienesq" Potatoes by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the do ah...)
Here duckie duckie duckie! I can remember my father "fishing" for pheasants in our backyard - from the dining room; corn on a fish hook, fishing pole and a fancy reel! He never caught one, thank heavens - they were from a game reserve we lived next to.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!