Question about maple sugar candy
  Re: (...)
After helping with the maple syrup gathering this spring, I bought 5 gallons of syrup. Made up multiple batches of maple sugar candy, which for the most part was consumed immediately. Still had a dozen or so pieces left from a batch I made several weeks ago. I had stored the candy in a metal tin lined with wax paper.

The other day I went to grab a piece and noticed that it had started to liquify on the bottom. Didn't affect the flavor at all, although since it was several weeks old, the candy was a little harder than when first made. Last night I opened the tin to see that my candies had sprouted fur. I hadn't realized that the stuff would mold! So my questions are . . . what would cause it to liquify? We have had a few 90+ days here, would the change in temp/humidity do it? And does anyone have a recommendation for how I should store the next batch? I still have two gallons of syrup in the fridge that I was going to do up.

Should I freeze the candy after I make it? Vaccuum pack it? I hate to go through all the effort and then have to toss it!
  Re: Question about maple sugar candy by iBcookin (After helping with t...)
I keep maple syrup (once opened ) in the fridge, as well as anything made with maple syrup. I think the humidity / heat is the culprit. My Mother's maple fudge always froze very well, so vacuum packing and freezing it sounds like a good option. Have you ever made maple butter? It also freezes well.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Question about maple sugar candy by Lorraine (I keep maple syrup (...)
iB,

From what I've seen, when searching before, there doesn't appear to be much to maple-sugar candy, but it would be great to have a "tried and true" recipe from a "known" acquaintance. Would you mind sharing?

One thing I noticed, though, is that it seems to take quite a bit of the syrup to make the candies, so the cost may be prohibitive to me, since maple syrup is an expensive imported product here. I'm hoping your recipe will also help me decide that issue.

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Question about maple sugar candy by labradors (iB,[br][br]From what...)
I keep my maple 'stuff' in the frig also.

Please do post the maple sugar candy recipe - sounds like something for Christmas presents.

Hi there, Lorraine - where you been????? miss you around here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Question about maple sugar candy by cjs (I keep my maple 'stu...)
Not really hard, just a little fussy and the yield isn't all that great . . . but man is the result worth it!!! I use the little silicon molds and get about 48 small pieces out of boiling 4 cups of syrup down.

You just boil until it reaches 32 degrees above boiling point of water (check your thermometer first). Watch it carefully since it will foam and rise in the pan as it boils, if it threatens to boil over, just touch it with a dab of butter and the bubbles will drop immediately. Do not stir the syrup, just let it boil.

After it reaches the temp, remove pan from heat and let it sit for 5 minutes. Stir evenly (do not beat, just stir) until the syrup starts to turn opaque and you will feel it start to drag on the bottom as the sugar crystals form. I find it takes about 10 minutes of stirring. At this point you move fast and pour it into the little molds. Wait too long and it will set up in your pan. Directions read to add a cup of water and start the process over again.

Personally, I haven't ever had to resort to that. But by the time I get done filling the molds it is thick around the edges of the pan, requiring a hard scraper to remove, and then, of course, eat. I can't bear to have to waste any of the goodness, so I feel obligated to stand there eating the warm maple sugar as I scrape. Such sacrifices you have to make when you are on kitchen detail!!

I find the silicon molds work the best, the metal were really difficult to get out.

I kind of guessed it was the humidity we had here last week. I just hated to put them in the fridge. I thought it might make them hard. Oh yes Lorraine, I have your maple butter recipe copied from the other forum. I tried making a maple cream at one time, but it wasn't as soft as I was looking for. Worked fine on the winter squashes, though.

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I have two gallons left in the garage fridge that I wanted to do up, guess the candy will go in the fridge as well.
  Re: Re: Question about maple sugar candy by iBcookin (Not really hard, jus...)
Thanks for the candy recipe. I made the maple butter last time I was in VA, but didn't have (and couldn't remember) the exact recipe. I whipped two lbs of butter in the KA, and very, very slowly added the maple syrup with the KA running. We put some in a container, and rolled the the rest into logs, and froze them. He served it with waffles.
  Re: Re: Question about maple sugar candy by Lorraine (Thanks for the candy...)
Thanks, iB. For those on the board who would have better access to these things, does any particular grade of syrup work better for this?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Question about maple sugar candy by labradors (Thanks, iB. For tho...)
I use Grade B. My cousin makes it, and that's what he gives me.
  Re: Re: Question about maple sugar candy by Lorraine (I use Grade B. My c...)
Can you post a recipe for the candy or did I miss it and it was posted already?

Thanks
  Re: Re: Question about maple sugar candy by piano226 (Can you post a recip...)
Marina, look at ibcookin's post above (her second one) and the recipe/method is there.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com