If you were a golden beet.....
  Re: (...)
What would you do with yourself? I bought some today at the Farmer's Market and have never made beets before. I can look up some recipes but thought I'd check with the experts here first!
  Re: If you were a golden beet..... by Trixxee (What would you do wi...)
Jean's beet ravioli, just simply beets with butter and perhaps some fresh parsley and dill.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: If you were a golden beet..... by Harborwitch (Jean's beet ravioli,...)
Trixxee, I thought I was the only one that used that phrase. I go into a store and say, "If I were a box of cereal, where would I be?"
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: If you were a golden beet..... by bjcotton (Trixxee, I thought I...)
Id be in a roasting pan, covered with lots of OO, some sea salt and P, and fresh thyme springs. Then I would be peeled and julienned. I'd then be covered in a vinaigrette made with the OO I was cooked in,fresh thyme leaves,and a bit of honey, and served over a salad of mixed Southern greens.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: If you were a golden beet..... by Lorraine (Id be in a roasting ...)
Oh yum, beets!! Here's another idea for you - you'll have to go back and buy more beets to try everything.

Roasted Beet Salad

Makes 4 to 6 servings

2 medium-large red beets, scrubbed but not peeled
2 medium-large golden beets, scrubbed but not peeled
olive oil
kosher salt
dried thyme
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons orange juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic or apple cider vinegar
2 ounces frise lettuce
3 ounces red leaf lettuce
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3 ounces blue or gorgonzola cheese, optional for dairy meals*

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Slice off the top and bottom of each beet. Slice into rounds as thin as possible, 1/4 inch thick or less. Drizzle each beet slice with olive oil, brushing it to evenly coat. Sprinkle with coarse salt and thyme.

Place on prepared baking sheet. Roast 18 to 22 minutes, until the beets are soft, and slightly shrunken. The smaller or thinner beets will need to come out of the oven so they dont burn. Set aside. Keep the colors separate as they will bleed otherwise.

Prepare the dressing. Using an immersion blender or with a whisk, combine the honey, mustard, orange juice, olive oil and balsamic or apple cider vinegar. Blend or whisk until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.

Place the frise and red leaf lettuce leaves into a bowl and lightly dress, tossing to combine, reserving 6 teaspoons of the dressing.

Arrange the roasted beet slices, in alternating colors in a single layer on each plate. Drizzle a scant teaspoon of the dressing over the beets. Place a tall mound of the greens in the center of each plate, allowing the beets to peek out.

Sprinkle with walnuts evenly over each plate. If using cheese, crumble over each mound of lettuce.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: If you were a golden beet..... by Lorraine (Id be in a roasting ...)
If I were ANY kind of beet, I'd be seeking a method of suicide, since I would hate myself that much (I hate beets!). LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: If you were a golden beet..... by labradors (If I were ANY kind o...)
Thanks guys!