See you in a week or so
  Re: (...)
Leaving today for my annual mission week to Appalachia. We will be in Tennessee this year doing home repair through the Appalachia Service Project program.

This is a faith restoring trip for me... I call it my annual course correction.

I'll catch up on everyone here when I get home next weekend.
  Re: See you in a week or so by HomeCulinarian (Leaving today for my...)
Have a wonderful and safe trip!! What a great group to be involved with - how are meals set up? Do folks volunteer to do the cooking also?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: See you in a week or so by cjs (Have a wonderful and...)
Do you keep a journal while you are away? What kind of job will you be doing, or does it change each day depending on need? Have a safe and wonderful week, and be sure to tell us all about it when you get back.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: See you in a week or so by Mare749 (Do you keep a journa...)
Have a very enlightening trip and be safe. Like Mare said keep a journal. It's a wonderful to go back and read and get ground again as the year progresses.
  Re: Re: See you in a week or so by DFen911 (Have a very enlighte...)
What a cool thing to do. There are groups at our church that do this often. I like the journal idea. Be safe, have fun, and let us know how it goes!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
What a wonderful program to be a part of. May God bless you work and your trip.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
What's this? Everybody taking off for a week or two at a time? I wanna go!

God bless Sweetie. Take care of you and yours!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
As always, a day late and so on and so forth-good for you! That's a noble thing to do. My folks volunteer all the time (perhaps the most satisfying for my Mom are the projects for the soldiers overseas, especially being a Pease greeter), and my ex just finished a House for Humanity.

Volunteering is something I'm looking forward to.

Have a great week!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: See you in a week or so by pjcooks (As always, a day lat...)
I'm back - actually I've been home since Saturday early evening. I've lurked a few times this week, but haven't posted anything.

Thanx for all your kudos and well wishes.

We had a great week in Scott County, TN. There were 23 volunteers from our church - 8 adults and 15 youth in 4 teams. Groups from Nashville, NC and Toledo, OH were also there when we were - I think there were 75 volunteers total. My group worked on a retaining wall for a family consisting of Grandma, daughter, and 5-year-old grandson. We were there week 3 of the 8 week program, and other crews will finish the wall and replace the porch and underpinning on this family's home. This was my 12th year and my 3rd as the volunteer coordinator. It is a very humbling and rewarding experience to serve our Appalachian brothers and sisters working side by side with young people.

I regret that I don't journal... I've attempted to from time to time, but it doesn't stick and become a habit.
  Re: Re: See you in a week or so by HomeCulinarian (I'm back - actually ...)
Welcome back HC! What an incredible experience you have had, and even more amazing that this was your 12th year. You are a very giving and generous person and what you wrote is beautiful. Enjoy your summer!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."