Help! Lost strawberry shortcake recipe issue #3
  Re: (...)
Hello! I've lost several of my old Cuisine issues. I just picked strawberries this weekend and I'm desperate for the strawberry shortcake recipe from issue #3. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!!
  Re: Help! Lost strawberry shortcake recipe issue #3 by lilacorn (Hello! I've lost se...)
Would this be the one?
Strawberry Shortcake
(Cuisine, June 1997, Issue 3, p. 42)

Makes: 8 Servings Total Time: 1 Hour Rating: Easy

For the Shortcake—
Mix:
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 T. + 2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/4 cup + 1 T. sugar

Cut in:
1/3 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup Crisco shortening

Add:
1 cup buttermilk
2 t. vanilla extract

Macerate (Soak):
2 pints strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water

Reserve for Garnish:
5 pints strawberries, whole

For the Custard Topping—
Whisk Together:
3 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 t. salt
2 cups Half & Half
2 T. unsalted butter
2 t. vanilla extract

Whip and Fold into Custard:
2 cups heavy cream

Related Recipes:

Custard Topping

Preheat oven to 400°.

Mix dry ingredients in bowl.

Cut cold butter in cubes so it mixes easier. Add butter, making sure none sticks together. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender. The butter bits will be a little smaller than lentils when done.

Add milk a little at a time as you begin the stirring process with your hands. Using your hands allows you to moisten everything equally. It looks like a gloppy mess because it is. But your hands are still the best tools to use. The key is to make sure everything’s mixed and moist. Shape palm-sized amounts of dough into rough mounds. Using a little flour helps keep the dough from sticking to your hands and your work surface. Place biscuits on parchment-covered baking sheet. Paint each with milk, sprinkle with granulated sugar for nice browning. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes.

Macerate strawberries by stirring in sugar and water.

Whisk together yolks, sugar, salt, and cornstarch for Custard.

Whisk in cream. Pour in a pan and cook on medium. Stir constantly until thick. Then stir in butter and vanilla. Pour into a bowl and let cool.

Whip heavy cream either by hand or with electric mixer until it forms stiff peaks, like this. Combine the custard and whipped cream in a bowl. Fold with a rubber spatula.

For a fan garnish, make vertical cuts leaving the top intact. To fan, press down lightly on the part you left uncut. Thin-bladed knives are the best for cutting cakes and biscuits. No ripping, just slicing. Keep the blade parallel to board. Spread 1/4 cup topping evenly on plate by rotating plate. Place cake bottom in center. Spoon strawberry juice on cake. Circle the shortcake with halved strawberries. Then do some structural engineering with whole berries as supports. Spoon (between the berries) a dollop of topping. It’ll cling to the berries and mound in the center. It should ooze out. Now, place the top on the shortcake. Add some sliced strawberries, and then hit the slices with another dollop of the cream mixture. Place a strawberry fan on top. It needs a little contrast, so garnish with a sprig of mint.

Nutrition Information (Per serving, no custard):
397 calories 38% calories from fat 17g total fat 8mg sodium

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© August Home Publishing Company
www.CuisineAtHome.com

PJ

And, welcome to the forum, lila!
PJ
  Re: Re: Help! Lost strawberry shortcake recipe issue #3 by pjcooks (Would this be the on...)
That's IT! Thank you so much, I'm over the moon! Thank you again, I'd better get in the kitchen and get those strawberry shortcakes made !

Thank you!!!!!
  Re: Re: Help! Lost strawberry shortcake recipe issue # by lilacorn (That's IT! Thank yo...)
And thanks for taking the time to transcribe the whole recipe. I know that took some time. I very much appreciate it.