Question about popcorn bread
  Re: (...)
I made the loaf and we loved it. Haven't made any buns yet. I noticed a few of you have made them, and was wondering if you have any tips to share regarding the amount to use. Do you weigh out pinches of dough, then form them? What dimensions do you use?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Question about popcorn bread by Mare749 (I made the loaf and ...)
I divided 2/3 of the dough by weight into equal sized balls and just flattened them to about 3 1/2" or so. I didn't let the rise to much either - we had hamburger on the popcorn buns last night. I just freeze them and take out what we need - we slice them and Bob pops them on the grill while the burgers cook. They're all toasty and thawed perfectly.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Question about popcorn bread by Harborwitch (I divided 2/3 of the...)
Thanks Sharon, that helps a lot, since I didn't want them to be too big. I also like the idea of keeping some frozen and ready to use.

What about hotdog buns? Do you think you would use the same amount of dough and just roll it like a cigar shape?
Maryann

Re: Re: Question about popcorn bread by Mare749 (Thanks Sharon, that ...)
I like to make the buns approx. 3.5 to 4 oz. each. And I did roll someout to use with hot dog or sausages - works great. Like Sharon, I didn't let them rise too long either.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Question about popcorn bread by cjs (I like to make the b...)
I think I'll try the shorter rise next time myself. One thing I've had pretty much luck with is placing them with a small amount of space between them, for rising, in a rectangular dish...like a brownie pan. I usually get 6 across and two down the side. That way, when they've baked, you can pull them apart and they look like regular split top buns. I've not perfected my shaping...they don't all come out looking perfect...but this has worked best for me. The one time I put them on a sheet pan, they spread out more than up.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Question about popcorn bread by Gourmet_Mom (I think I'll try the...)
Thanks everyone, I'm ready to try this now. Mmmm....bet this would be good with sausage and peppers.
Maryann

Re: Re: Question about popcorn bread by Mare749 (Thanks everyone, I'm...)
Believe it or not, I still haven't tried the Popcorn Bread. But I think I'm going to this week. I'd love to make hamburger and hot dog rolls for my company. Now, my question is, do you think you could make the whole recipe in the food processor? I mean after you've processed the popcorn and removed it from the FP, then could you continue the recipe in the FP on the dough setting??
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Question about popcorn bread by cjs (I like to make the b...)
We did the hot dog buns the same way! I'm thinking of making a batch of rye buns for sausages & good polish! That may be a project for later in the week - I have whole wheat ciabatta sammie rolls to make today.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Question about popcorn bread by Harborwitch (We did the hot dog b...)
So, Sharon, are you saying it will work to do it all in the FP??
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Question about popcorn bread by farnfam (So, Sharon, are you ...)
If you look Cis, I think she's responding to Jean's suggestion of weighing them out. I'm not sure if either of them make them like I do (in the brownie pan), although, I weigh them out also.

I don't know about using the FP, though. It makes quite a bit of dough. It's a lot in my KA. I wouldn't even double it in that. (I have the Artisan, to give you an idea about size. As a matter of fact, the one time I attempted to let it rise in that bowl it started spilling over the sides. I had to punch it down, possibly early, and transferred it to a much larger bowl.) Does that help?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.