Calling all bakers.....
  Re: (...)
Does anyone make their own pita bread? If you do, would you share your favorite recipe?

BTW, where IS everyone today???
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Calling all bakers..... by Mare749 (Does anyone make the...)
Here's my standby Maryann, if you don't have a gas burner to puff it over, just keep flipping it rapidly over the fry pan on wicked high
Cis
Empress for Life
Food Processor Pita Bread

The required ingredients for this pita recipe are:
* 1 C of warm water (85 - 115 f)
* 2 scant teaspoons of active dry yeast
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 C all purpose flour (or whole wheat flour)I always wind up using more like 2C and then some to coat hands

Mix first four ingredients in food processor. Knead for few minutes. Let dough rise for one hour. Separate into 12 balls. Roll out into flat pita shapes. Toast in fry pan and then hold briefly over gas flame to puff. Wrap in towel and keep warm to serve
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Calling all bakers..... by farnfam (Here's my standby Ma...)
Hey! Bette Davis bread: "Pita, Pita, Pita."
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Calling all bakers..... by labradors (Hey! Bette Davis br...)
Wow, I never thought of making my own! Thanks Cis! And thanks for asking Maryann! Good Grief, another new project...LOL!

I had a doctor's appointment today, so I got to go "home" to Southport. Took Mom for lunch at my favorite restaurant on the water....nice afternoon!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Calling all bakers..... by Gourmet_Mom (Wow, I never thought...)
Thank you, Cis! I can't wait to try this! It doesn't sound hard at all. Did you try the grilled gyros with ground lamb? They are so good, that's why I wanted to make my own pitas.

Daphne, what a nice afternoon you had, and you are so lucky to still have Mom to lunch with. Too bad about the shrimp tho. Bet they are fantastic too.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Calling all bakers..... by Mare749 (Thank you, Cis! I c...)
I made the lamb gyros that you use the leftover roast lamb with. I think they called it Lamb Tostados. I used this pita recipe and we had them for a boat picnic. They were fantastic!!
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
I haven't made pits in ages. Thanks for the reminder!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Calling all bakers..... by Lorraine (I haven't made pits ...)
I almost did not look at this post!! (but, I'm glad I did) - I don't think I've made pita.

We were out of town yesterday - my mother can't handle going out to lunch (her very favorite thing to do!) anymore, so we made up kind of a seafood picnic and took it to her. She enjoyed it, but not as much as going out. I hate this...she's just going down hill so fast.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Calling all bakers..... by cjs (I almost did not loo...)
Jean, as William's GM said, repeately..."Getting old sucks!"
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Someone on another forum highly recommended the following recipe

The Pita Project