Korean red pepper paste?
  Re: (...)
I have this grilled chicken bulgogi-style recipe and it calls for Korean red pepper powder and the paste (gochujang). I goggled it and found one recommendation to sub red pepper flakes for the gochujang, if I understood correctly.

Is anybody familiar with either of these ingredients? I guess I could use my regular recipe for beef or try out Lab's Bulgogi recipe if no one has a suggestion.

Here's the recipe: (I typed in the whole thing to make it clear where and how the two ingredients are used. The sauce at the end is what's got me stumped the most.)

1 c minced scallions
3 T minced ginger
1 T minced garlic
1/3 c light soy sauce
5 T mirin
1 T vegetable oil
4 t toasted sesame seeds
2 T granulated sugar
2 t Korean red pepper powder
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I'm planning on using breast tenders.)
1/2 c Korean red pepper paste
16 Napa cabage or iceburg lettuce
Scallion Salad
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced and blanched*

Whisk together the sallions, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, 3 T of the mirin, the oil, 3 t of the sesame seeds, 1 T of the sugar, and the red pepper powder to make a marinade.

Trim the chidken thighs to remove any pockets of fat and pound them until they are an even 1/2 inch thick.. Cut each thigh in half. Add the pounded chicken thighs to the marinade and turn to coat the chicken evenly. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 and up to 12 hours.

Smash the remaining 1 teaspoon sesame seeds and whisk together with the red pepper paste, the remaining 2 T mirin, and the remaining 1 T sugar. Refrigerate the sauce in a covered container until ready to serve.

Preheat a gas grill to high. (There was more here about using charcoal, but left off since I have a gas grill.)

Remove the chicken from the marinade, letting any excess marinade drain off. Grill the chicken until browned and cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes per side.

Arrange 2 cabbage or lettuce leaves on each of eight plates. Place a chicken thigh on top, spoon some of the Scallion Salad over it, and garnish with slices of the garlic and the reserved sauce.

*Note: To blanch the garlic, bring a small pan of water to a boil. Add the sliced garic and simmer for 30 seconds. Drain the garlic, rinse with cool water, and drain and rinse again.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Korean red pepper paste? by Gourmet_Mom (I have this grilled ...)
Daphne, I hope someone comes by soon and gives you some ideas - I just popped in to see what I'm missing and I'm going to go crash. Placed another pallet load of stones....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Korean red pepper paste? by cjs (Daphne, I hope someo...)
Gotta stop drooling....hold on...

Okay. Now I can reply.

It appears your best bet is to see if you can find a Korean (or other Asian) market, since it should be easy to get there. Here are some references I found. The last one also happens to be an online store, if you care to order it that way.

Wikipedia
CookingKorean
Koamart

Finally, in the comments on one blog, someone asked about making the paste at home, and the owner of the blog responded:
Quote:

I suggest that you do your best to find a Korean grocery shop for Gochujang. I am 99.9% sure that any Korean grocery store should sell it. It is possible to make it at home, however it is very timing consuming and labor intensive. Thus, I don’t have a recipe (and I haven’t seen it elsewhere either.)

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Korean red pepper paste? by labradors (Gotta stop drooling....)
Sounds like a tasty recipe, but I think I would taste as you go, because it also sounds quite hot. Be sure to let us know how it turns out.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Korean red pepper paste? by Mare749 (Sounds like a tasty ...)
I agree. Half a cup of gochujang will be very, very spicy. I have never used more than a quarter cup for a dish, and even that was extremely spicy. Why don't you just use the Bulgogi recipe in the current issue and simply substitute chicken for the beef? The ingredients for the CAH recipe are very common, except for perhaps the sambal - and even that can be found at Walmart.

If anybody would like the recipe, I will type it up.
  Re: Re: Korean red pepper paste? by jend (I agree. Half a cup...)
As far as Bulgogi is concerned, this is the recipe that I have used, and was the one a visiting Korean couple said tasted authentic and homemade.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Korean red pepper paste? by labradors (As far as Bulgogi is...)
Labs that recipe sounds delicous! So does the first one (Daphne's) - I've not tasted this dish, guess it's time for a Bulgogi mission!! And sticky rice - have not made that forever and we love it!

I don't remember seeing the recipe in the latest issue, off to look!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Korean red pepper paste? by cjs (Labs that recipe so...)
Hey Jean, I forgot to note, this is from Sizzle. I think I may do a combination of mine for Korean Beef, Lab's, and a modification of the Sizzle recipe. I want to do this tonight. I usually do my beef overnight. Since I'm doing chicken tenders, don't you think about 6 or 7 hours will marinate enough?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Korean red pepper paste? by Gourmet_Mom (Hey Jean, I forgot t...)
yes
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Korean red pepper paste? by Gourmet_Mom (Hey Jean, I forgot t...)
Daphne,
How did the recipes turn out? I did Labs and that recipe was fantastic.