Ricotta Orzo update
  Re: (...)
Well, I'm finding out this is a very forgiving dish and you can't really go wrong, and even if you don't have everything, it's still good.

Today, I just diced up the bacon, browned it up and set it aside. Using a small amount of the bacon fat instead of oil, I cooked the leeks. No ricotta, so I left it out and just put in the rest of the stuff. Didn't want the dill, so I used parsley. Still good.

Now I'm thinking that this would be good with a few mushrooms and diced tomatoes, or just some salsa and cheddar cheese. The variations are endless. Might even be good with an egg in it like a carbonara.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Ricotta Orzo update by Mare749 (Well, I'm finding ou...)
"Might even be good with an egg in it like a carbonara. "

We had the leftovers "a la Jacques Pepin" for brunch one morning this weekend. In a bowl, layer some of the orzo, parmesan, over-easy (in my case sunny side up) egg, little more parmesan. Oh my, it was delicous.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ricotta Orzo update by cjs ("Might even be good ...)
I have a little leftover, Jean. That will be lunch!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Ricotta Orzo update by cjs ("Might even be good ...)
I think this will be our dinner tonight - we were going to have it last night but friends brought us dinner - from a Taco truck - beautiful achiote marinated pork, fat tender pinto beans, and all the fixings in a burrito. Yum. Very very good.

Bob and I've been wanting this dinner so it is tonight!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Now, where's this recipe?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Ricotta Orzo update by bjcotton (Now, where's this re...)
Here's where we discussed it, Billy -
http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=true#Post59403

and here's the recipe - Maryann posted it and we've all been playing with it ever since. It's a good one for cleaning out the fridge also.

Ricotta Orzo

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 pound orzo
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 1/4 cups chopped leeks -- rinsed well
1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup fresh ricotta
4 strips thick bacon -- cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup whole milk -- warmed
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon chopped dill (or chervil, chives, or parsley)

Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil, Add a tablespoon salt and the pasta. Cook for 4 minutes. Drain, and rinse well. Set aside. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the leeks. Cook until leeks are tender and bright green, about 3 minutes. Add the peas, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Add the orzo, ricotta, and bacon, and toss well over medium heat until warm, about 3 minutes. Add the milk, parmesan, and dill and cook for 1 more minute. Serve hot.

Source:
"Country Living - June 2008"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ricotta Orzo update by cjs (Here's where we disc...)
Thanks Luvy!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Ricotta Orzo update by bjcotton (Thanks Luvy!...)
Billy! It's great to see you back! I am determined to play with this...hopefully tonight!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Ricotta Orzo update by Gourmet_Mom (Billy! It's great t...)
I keep putting this on the menu and it keeps getting pushed down. Tonight is the night!!!! Must have this now!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
I just did this for the kids. I ended up using 1 cup of skim milk, and lots of fresh thyme. They all loved it, noting it would be just as good without the bacon (were those MY kids saying that???)

Thanks again. When I was in the faculty dining room, orzo was on the menu all the time, because there's so much you can do with it. And, folks who would turn away from larger pasta types would feel comfortable with a spoon of orzo.

PJ
PJ