It is Camping Season!!!
  Re: (...)
How's about we share menu ideas for camping trips
Trixxee's idea about the lobster tails got me thinking I might be missing something great. What's your favorite meal to do at camp, over the fire or cook stove, I'd love to know.
Cis
Empress for Life
ps Trix, do you bring those tails in frozen??
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: It is Camping Season!!! by farnfam (How's about we share...)
Camping is one of those things we are planning to do after the "kid" gets in the Coast Guard. I'll be watching with notepad in hand!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: It is Camping Season!!! by Gourmet_Mom (Camping is one of th...)
What a great idea!! I can't add today, CAPT. JAY IS COMING....read "fish, fish, fish"

but, I'll be back with a notebook in hand also!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: It is Camping Season!!! by cjs (What a great idea!! ...)
Actually, there is a Costco pretty close to the campground so my husband ran over there on Saturday morning and picked up 6 tails. They were with the rest of the refrigerated seafood so they were not completely frozen anyway. I put them in an ice cold cooler the second he got back.

Let's see, other things we have made. Keep in mind we have an RV so we've got a microwave and 3 burner cook top. I've actually never used the regular oven. We have a portable Weber "Q" bbq that works beautifully.

Carne asada tacos
Grilled shrimp
Grilled swordfish
Rib-eyes, Filet mignon
Baby back ribs (cook them at home slowly in the oven then finish them on the grill the next day).
Burgers with all the trimmings
Italian sausage heros w/grilled peppers and onions
French dip sandwiches
Grilled chicken sandwiches
Foil packets with potatoes/onions
Corn on the cob

I'd really like to come up with some new things. We also do appetizers in the afternoon - hummus/toasted pita bread, chips & guac, salami, cheese & crackers, artichoke dip with toasted baguette slices.
  Re: Re: It is Camping Season!!! by Trixxee (Actually, there is a...)
Here's one we like to do the first night in. We buy the clams just before we leave and keep them cold till we set up camp. And of course we do this over a grate on the fire.
Grilled Clams and Sausage in Spicy Tomato Broth
Issue 52 p 15
Combine:
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 t. red pepper flakes
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 thyme sprig
1 bay leaf
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt and pepper to taste

Prepare for Grilling:
6 –8 cherrystone clams, scrubbed
8 oz. kielbasa or smoked sausage, cut into four pieces
1 cup mustard greens, stemmed and torn (I use frzn spinach)
2 slices French bread (1/2" thick)

Preheat grill to high on one side, medium on the other.

Combine tomatoes, oil, wine, pepper flakes, garlic, herbs, lemon juice, and seasonings in a foil pan.

Prepare clams, sausage, greens, and bread for the grill. When ready to cook, place the foil pan on the medium side of the grill and arrange the clams and sausage on the hotter side. Cover and cook 3 minutes; turn the sausage and grill, covered, 1–2 more minutes. Transfer sausage to the pan. Continue to grill the clams, covered, until they open, 7–9 minutes total. Carefully transfer open clams to the pan, discarding those that remain closed. Add greens to the pan and toss to coat. Toast bread on both sides over the hotter side of the grill. To serve, arrange bread, clams, and sausage in bowls, then top with broth, tomatoes, and greens.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: It is Camping Season!!! by farnfam (Here's one we like t...)
Cynthia my dear, I wondered just how you do this: "Here's one we like to do the first night in. We buy the clams just before we leave and keep them cold till we set up camp. And of course we do this over a grate on the fire." I have NEVER been able to keep something cold over a grate on the fire. I guess that must come from a school of higher learning that I've missed
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: It is Camping Season!!! by bjcotton (Cynthia my dear, I w...)
go find your room Billy - bless your heart

Wow, it's going to be hard to remember all - love to do quesadillas for breakfast/brunch and of course pizzas.

I only use the 5th wheel's oven if it's just crappy outside - otherwise everything on the grill as I guess most of you do also.

Steaks & fries
This is harder than I thought it would be - I guess we do just about anything while camping. I just put a skillet and/or pot on the grill and we're good to go. But, of course, this is not camping, really.

But, here is one (and the Tomato Orzo soup - posted here somewhere we do camping) -

One Pot Stew

1 lb. grd. beef or turkey
1 can kedney beans, drained
1 can vege beef soup
1 can chili with beans
1 can chili without beans
1 can Mexicorn
1 can water
1 onion, diced
dash of worchestershire sauce
garlic powder
(and what might be left from breakfast or previous night's dinner)

Saute the meat & onions, drain all of the fat.
Add all remaining ingredients in a large pot or crock pot.
Heat until hot or leave in crockpot all day.
Add a salad and rolls.

---

Oh, and those hot dogs we did once at the beach - wrapped in bacon, but there was something stuffed in the 'dog' that I can't remember - cheese? (I do remember it was really decadent)

Wraps are fun camping also -
Mini meatloafs in muffin tins - filled with cheeses and sauces. (for breakfast, an egg over the top)
An easy side dish - Saute cabbage, sugar, caraway seeds and pepper, cook some pasta and toss all together.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
French dip sandwiches sounds good - haven't done that. Clams and sausage too - oh, fix up Roberto's dish and add some grilled clams, yum!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: It is Camping Season!!! by cjs (go find your room Bi...)
LOL Billyj, I had to check, yup, I really did write that.
When we camp we go deep woods and there is never any electricity. We used to carry in the whole week's supplies and gear in our canoe and I would worry about stuff spoiling as it defrosted thru the week. We often had to paddle a long way to find a good spot. Since we've got "HMS Sunflower" tho, getting around the lakes is much faster and much less tiring
We mostly cook on campfire or a Coleman stove, but this year we bought an Outback, it's propane and it has an oven!! Looking forward to trying that out.
Anyway, Jean is right, I guess you can do just about anything while camping. Please keep giving me ideas tho, my camp menus have gotten stale, same old same old
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life