I'm Back!
  Re: (...)
Well, we had a blast! Several times, we got off on the wrong road and William would say, "Do you need to be somewhere?" I'd just laugh and throw my head back and enjoyed the ride! And ride we did! We'd see something interesting and just stop and explore. I can't remember ever having such a relaxing time.

After we cruised around and down the strand, we found a room. (We didn't try walking down the beach because the wind was up and we were sure it was packed with people.) William let me pick out a restaurant. I didn't want to do the Calabash style all you can eat buffet thing, so I found a nice restro at the marina...turns out about a half a block from where we were staying.

I hit the jackpot! It was a very nice fine dining establishment with a wonderful view of the marina and waterway. Sorry, no pictures, I used William's cell phone, but can't get them off. (Long story) We started with crab dip stuffed prettily in a little bread bowl, interesting presentation. It was like the crab dip was cooked in the bread. There was just a small hole in the top with a large shrimp balanced on top. The bread "ball" was a little larger than a softball. When he was bringing it to the table, I thought the ball was my dip and almost fell out...LOL! The dip was very good. Not the "mayonaissy" mess you get sometimes...very crabby. Then there was the she crab soup, which was AWESOME! It was rich with butter, cream, and just a hint of nutmeg. I wish I could detect what else was in it. I will be trying to duplicate it soon! I begged for the recipe, but no go! This was followed with a nice salad with a beautiful roll. I am not a huge bread fan, but this was unbelievable. It had at least 4 different nuts on top with a few inside. I'll be trying to duplicat this one also. It was that good. For an entree, we had one of the chef's specials...the Par 4. This was a lovely plate with 4 HUGE butterflied shrimp and 4 nice scallops. I'm not sure how they were cooked, but they were perfect. It was almost like they were poached in butter. William thought they needed another minute, but I thought they were perfect. To finish off the FOUR, there was a nice 4 ounce fillet mignon topped with a hand made crab cake and drizzled with a bernaise. I'm not sure about the sauce, it didn't taste like mine. I like mine better. We skipped dessert, who had room! It was a perfect meal with a wonderful view over the marina, great atmosphere, and superb service. The only thing I would change, would be to have asked the server to recommend a wine. We've got to work on that one.

We returned to our room to watch a movie and "cuddle". Yesterday, we just drove around and explored a bit more before taking our time driving home. I got lots of sun and had a lovely time! What a wonderful surprise and a wonderful husband! My kids thought we were crazy. DD wanted to know if "Dad" was going through a mid-life crisis! HE HE...if he is, it's gonna be a blast for BOTH of us...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: I'm Back! by Gourmet_Mom (Well, we had a blast...)
Good for you guys!!! I love the presentation for the crab dip - I'm going to play with that tonight!!!

It's amazing how kids can sometimes think we have no live sbesides them - when ours were all first going their own ways, Roy and I took off one Saturday a.m. with no destination in mind. We just had a ball all day, when we got home late-afternoon, there were six kids (boy/girlfriends) included lined up on the couch - whining -

"Where were you guys - no note, no nothing. We didn't know where you were!!!" tough sh*t, kiddos, you're on your own now and so are we!

sounds like you and William had a great time - isn't it nice to know the two of you can also enjoy each other. Some couples find they can't - sounds like we are some of the lucky ones.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I'm Back! by cjs (Good for you guys!!!...)
Great story, Daphne. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. What a perfect weekend for both of you. Your dinner sounds awesome, you'll have to let me know where to find it.

I agree with Jean, we are some of the lucky few who still enjoy each other now that the kids are grown. It just keeps getting better each year.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: I'm Back! by Mare749 (Great story, Daphne....)

[/blockquote]I agree with Jean, we are some of the lucky few who still enjoy each other now that the kids are grown. It just keeps getting better each year.

[/blockquote]
OH, I say AMEN to that!!!! How excellent for you Daph, it sounds better than a honeymoon
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: I'm Back! by farnfam ([br][br][hr][/blockq...)
It felt like a honeymoon! He he!

I do feel lucky. I see so many others who don't enjoy each other anymore. It makes me sad. How lucky we all are! I'm looking forward to my empty nest time! Woohoo!

Maryann, the place is called Filet's. It's at that marina under the Hwy 17 bridge at the Cherry Grove exit. I'll go check and see if they have a website!
Daphne
  Re: Re: I'm Back! by Gourmet_Mom (It felt like a honey...)
No website. The marina is Harbourgate. They have a site. Oh well! Anyway, I forgot to mention, they have sushi there as well! William was very tempted! I think on the off season, they have a half off happy hour as well! I'm hoping to check out Rioz Brazilian Steakhouse next time. It's in Garden City, I think, just south of MB.
Daphne
  Re: Re: I'm Back! by Gourmet_Mom (No website. The mar...)
It sounds like you had a lovely time! What a feast you had too. I'm so glad you had a nice time and now you can look forward to days when the nest will be empty!!

I think Bob and I have enjoyed Jen's vacation more than she has!! Heeee Heeeee of course we missed her - but being left on our own was really nice.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Daphne that sounds so nice. What a perfect weekend!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: I'm Back! by Harborwitch (It sounds like you h...)
What a wonderful time! What a special man and marriage you have.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Daphne, there's a Rioz Brazilian at Broadway-at-the-Beach. It was highly recommended to us, but we didn't make it there. Maybe next time. Thanks for telling me about Filet's.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."