Appetizers?
  Re: (...)
I remember something my mom used to do when we were kids and poor as church mice. When she would make a pie she would take the dough that had been trimmed off and either sprinkle it with sugar and cinnamon [or whatever we had] and then bake it; or, she would sprinkle it with salt and bake it. These were real treats for us kids. Another thing she used to do was make pie dough, roll it out, then cover half of it with sugar and cinnamon [or whatever..cracklin's maybe] and then bake it. Kind of like an empanada I'd guess. You could use something simple like that for a quick appetizer or use puff pastry.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Appetizers? by bjcotton (I remember something...)
That's a nice idea Billyj. I've got a box of leftover puff pastry thingys and I just got one of those mini muffin pans. I'd love to make some appetizers. Maybe if I put cheese in the pastries and some salsa?? Hmmm, I've got a bit of a ham butt I could dice up.
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Appetizers? by farnfam (That's a nice idea B...)
Billy's message reminds me of an idea: use the refrigerated crescent-roll dough that comes in a tube, but instead of breaking it into triangles, seal those perforations by pressing them together. Then, place a block of cream cheese onto it and cover with more of that dough. Press together all the seams, then bake the whole thing and serve it for spreading on crackers. Simple, but good.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Appetizers? by labradors (Billy's message remi...)
when the kids were home they loved the cinnamon pie scraps better than the pies I think!! They didn't leave the kitchen until they were out of the oven. Still make them for Roy & me. (and we don't have to share!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Appetizers? by cjs (when the kids were h...)
I love that idea too Rob. We do that same method around a small brie wheel. Then when it comes out of the oven we spit it open and fill with a hot spinach, mushroom and garlic mixture. It's practically a meal.
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Appetizers? by cjs (when the kids were h...)
I remember my Mom doing that - and I remember doing that for the kids. Sometimes I'd spread them with jam and roll them up. Yum.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Appetizers? by bjcotton (I remember something...)
My mom made these all the time. I tried to make them for my little girl but they were just not as good. But I love these so much.

Linda
  Re: Re: Appetizers? by Emmasmum (My mom made these al...)
Aaaaah memories!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy