Quick and easy duck apps, anyone?
  Re: (...)
I found 2 lonesome vac-sealed duck breasts (total 1 pound) in my freezer. Any ideas for a quick app for my 4th of July party? I'm thinking some sort of duck salad, but between working, sewing (working again), cleaning and cooking everything else, I'm drawing a blank. Any ideas for me? It's not a big party, just would like to use them up. Thank you!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Quick and easy duck apps, anyone? by pjcooks (I found 2 lonesome v...)
I haven't made this myself, but what about something like this?

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...LAD-108327
  Re: Re: Quick and easy duck apps, anyone? by Trixxee (I haven't made this ...)
Quote:

Yes! Please send some down here! Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Quick and easy duck apps, anyone? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Here's a relish that I did with something (probably crackers), sliced duck and the relish - great flavors.

Dried Cherry Relish
from the Cherry Marketing Institute

1 1/2 cups dried tart cherries
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 large red onion -- finely chopped
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt -- or to taste
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

In a medium bowl, combine cherries, red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar. Let soak 30 minutes.

Heat butter in a large skillet. Add onion; cook 5 minutes, or until onion is soft. Add sugar; mix well. Cook, stirring occasionally, over low heat 10 minutes.

Add cherries with soaking liquid to onion mixture. Simmer, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes, or until almost all the liquid is evaporated. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.

Makes about 2 cups. 12 servings as a relish.

Serving size: 3 tablespoons
Serving Ideas : Serve warm with pork, duck or goose.
NOTES : Relish may be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated; reheat before serving.

No, not crackers, I just found what I did with it -
Slices of an Artisan bread (or 18 hour bread is wonderful), lightly toasted
Rub with the cut side of a clove of garlic.
Spread with cream cheese.
Add a dollop of dried Cherry Relish (see recipe)
Top with warm shredded duck.

-----

* Exported from MasterCook *

SWEET POTATO CHIPS with DUCK HASH & BLUEBERRY CHUTNEY
Peanut oil
3 large sweet potatoes
Sea salt
2 cups roasted duck meat -- shredded
Spruce Mountain Blueberries' Wild Blueberry Chutney

Heat 2 inches of oil to 325" in a large saucepan.

Slice potatoes 1/16"inch thick in a food processor or by hand; fry in batches 3 minutes or until golden.

Drain and top with sea salt. shredded duck meat atop chips, and top with a dollop of Spruce Mountain Blueberries' Wild Blueberry Chutney or your favorite fruit chutney.

-------

those are the fast ones I have, PJ - are you having the party on the 4th? or taking to one? What all are you making?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Quick and easy duck apps, anyone? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

[blockquote]Quote:

Yes! Please send some down here! Thanks!

[/blockquote]

Thanks, Trixxee and Jean, 2 great starting points for me!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Quick and easy duck apps, anyone? by pjcooks (I found 2 lonesome v...)
My neighbor makes 'Duck Nuggets'. He marinates them in a soy or terriyaki solution,cuts them into bite-size cubes, wraps them in bacon, pokes them with toothpick and grills them. When the bacon is done and crispy, they are done! Real easy.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Quick and easy duck apps, anyone? by luvnit (My neighbor makes 'D...)
"CRISPY SHREDDED DUCK AND NOODLE SALAD"

You had me at NOODLE SALAD!!! This looks awesome.
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Quick and easy duck apps, anyone? by luvnit (My neighbor makes 'D...)
Laura, bacon and duck, how good is that? That's definately something to keep in mind.

Cis, I agree. I'll save that recipe for when I have more duck and more time, what a great supper that would make!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Quick and easy duck apps, anyone? by pjcooks (Laura, bacon and duc...)
The nuggets and the salad both sound really good! And I do have some duck in the freezer.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Quick and easy duck apps, anyone? by cjs (The nuggets and the ...)
One of our anon friends was checking this thread out - I'd forgotten about it. Still haven't made the salad nor the nuggets. Now this thread is marked, tho.
www.achefsjourney.com