Sake Brined Salmon
  Re: (...)
Capt. Jay is visiting and he brought with him (in addition to halibut, ling cod, true cod and snapper...) recipes from El Capitan Lodge in Alaska. But, as some chefs are want to do, part of the recipe was omitted - really p*sses me off when cooks do that! Anyway, this is one that Jay really wanted to learn how to prepare, so we played with it last night and the dish turned out delicious - only problem, I grilled the salmon just a tad too long - that makes me angier than not having an entire recipe!!!

[Image: SakeSalmon2.jpg]

SAKE BRINED SALMON WITH A CITRUS GASTRIQUE SERVED WITH ASIAN RICE PILAF AND GRILLED BOK CHOY

4 6 to 8 oz. each Salmon filets -- all pin bones removed
------
Brine:
1 cups sake
1/4 cup mirin
2 T. soy sauce
1 cups water
1 T. brown sugar
2 tsp. honey
1/2 T. ginger -- peeled and sliced thin
1/2 tsp salt
Zest of 1 lemon
1/3 bunch cilantro leaves

Place all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 15 min; cool completely; brine salmon for at least 3 hours.

Citrus Gastrique:
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
Juice of 2 medium blood oranges*
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 T. unsalted butter, cut into 2 or 3 pieces

In a small, non-reactive saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar and orange juice.

Bring to a boil. Cook until reduce to 1/2 cup, or the mixture has thickened like a syrup.
Whisk in the salt.

Drop the butter pieces into the mixture and swirl pan until all the butter is incorporated into the gastrique.

Remove from the heat and pour the mixture into a glass bowl. Let cool completely and use to drizzle on salmon at service.

Cook the Salmon:
Remove from the marinade and lay the filets on an oiled baking sheet; pour the marinade into a saucepan and heat to a boil and let boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and save to baste the salmon while it's roasting or grilling.

To roast: set oven to 425 F. and roast the filets for 15-20 minutes, basting twice, until the fish reaches 135 F.

To grill: have grill set on high oil grate well. Lay filets skin side up and grill for 3-4 minutes, turn a quarter turn (for grill marking) and grill for another 3 minutes. Turn the salmon over skin side down and finish grilling to 135 F.

*Alternate - use the juice from 1 orange and 1 ruby grapefruit

Rice pilaf:
5 cups long grain brown rice
2 cups edamame-room temp
5 carrots-brunoise-cooked al dente
5 green onions-severe bias cut
1/2 bunch cilantro-chopped fine
Chicken base to taste

Cook rice in rice cooker with chicken base; toss with other ingredients

Bok choy:
Cut bottom off bok choy and wash; toss in olive oil, sesame oil and salt and pepper; grill until tender

Description:
"Adapted from a recipe from El Capitan Lodge, Alaska"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

He knew how to do the pilaf and bok choy, so we just served the salmon over garlic linguini and peas. Gee, it's a tasty brine and gastrique.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sake Brined Salmon by cjs ( Capt. Jay is visiti...)
Wow, Jean! This sounds wonderful! Very high on the to do list!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Sake Brined Salmon by cjs ( Capt. Jay is visiti...)
Wow that sounds good - that may go on the menu for the weekend. I think Safeway is having a sale on Oregon or Alaska salmon.

Oh, thanks for the little hint on the blood orange juice. I am hoping to get a dwarf blood orange tree this summer but until then!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!