This is a great idea - wish he worked here
  Re: (...)
Heard this story yesterday on NPR Morning Edition. It is about a chef in France who is working in the schools and introducing young people to good, healthy food choices ... check it out.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story...d=91687769
  Re: This is a great idea - wish he worked here by HomeCulinarian (Heard this story yes...)
"Eyes twinkling and knives flashing, Valadier opens up the plump turkey thighs, cutting out the bones.

The flattened turkey filets are wrapped around a stuffing of ground up parsley, garlic, cheese and smoked pork shoulder. The loaves are then tied with twine and baked for three hours at low temperatures to keep in the juices and flavor. When sliced, they will serve hundreds of students, 10 times the number that could have been fed on the plain turkey thighs." - Wow, doesn't that just sound delicious???

When my kids were in school, the cafeterias still had cooks who prepared the foods for lunches - now most everything is just heated up and served....yuck!

Wish this would take off over here and get back to having "cooks" in the school kitchens.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: This is a great idea - wish he worked here by cjs ("Eyes twinkling and ...)
No kidding Jean! I look at the plates of food...very skimpy compared to the old days, too...and thank my lucky stars I brought my lunch! YUCK!

Great story HC! Thanks for sharing! I might stay on a couple more years past retirement, if this caught on...NOT! But it is a great idea!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.