Laura's Sticky Wings
  Re: (...)
Hello everyone! I am making Laura's Sticky Wings for the first time today after reading all the rave reviews. I am making 9# instead of 3#. Do I need to make 3 different batches? If I can cook them all together, do I still need to triple the sauce? Will it take longer to cook them all together?

Edit: Could I make them now and heat them for the party at 2pm?

Thank you.

Laura's Sticky Wings

3 lbs. chicken wings -- thawed
For sauce:
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup barbecue sauce

Cut up wings, place in 9x13 pan. Mix sauce and pour over top. Cook in oven
at 375 for 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to coat wings with sauce.

I do not recommend using the bags of frozen wings. They are injected with
too much water and you won't get your sticky sauce, just soup.
  Re: Laura's Sticky Wings by Corinne (Hello everyone! I a...)
Cory, I don't think I'd make them all together. Those that cater or have worked in the business may be able to answer better than me though.

I base my opinion on having made them. After Laura's mention of frozen getting soupy, I watched them closely...even though I used fresh. They did not get sticky until the last 15 minutes of cooking. I would be afraid that since they do get soupy at first, that the volume would keep them soupy. I'd do them in batches, then dump them together, scraping all the goop off the pan. If you do decide to make them all together, DEFINITELY triple the sauce. That goop is soooo good! Good luck!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Laura's Sticky Wings by Corinne (Hello everyone! I a...)
If you use a pan large enough to hold all the wings in one layer, it shouldn't take much longer than the 60 minutes. If you don't have that large a pan, maybe do 1 1/2 batches at a time?

I've not made this yet, I don't know how much sauce this acutally makes in regards to the wings. but rule of thumb on these sauces, "usually" you can get by with doubling the sauce and tripling the chicken wings. Maybe start out with double and have the ingredients handy to add if needed??

I've just got to make these, they sound so good!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Laura's Sticky Wings by cjs (If you use a pan lar...)
Thank you both very much. This shows what a novice I am. Can I make 3 pans full and cook them all at once in the oven?
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Laura's Sticky Wings by Corinne (Thank you both very ...)
Cory, I think that would work best. You may have to cook them longer...just watch them and keep them in there until they get goopy!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Laura's Sticky Wings by Gourmet_Mom (Cory, I think that w...)
Thank you so much!
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Laura's Sticky Wings by Corinne (Thank you so much!...)
I wouldn't cook all three pans at one time - I think it would produce too much steam to be able to glaze them as Daphne mentions in the last 15 min.

I'd go with planning on 3 hours of your time and getting them perfect!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Laura's Sticky Wings by cjs (I wouldn't cook all ...)
Thanks CJS.

I'd better get one in the oven.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Laura's Sticky Wings by Corinne (Thanks CJS.[br][br]I...)
Thanks for jumping in Jean. I hated to disagree with your first post, but the steam issue was what I was worried about if done all together. I didn't think about the steam generated by all three in the oven at the same time though.

I figured she was doing them for a party, and like you said, it's best to get them perfect! You've gotta try these! I'm wondering if you could do the same thing with ribs? Partially bake them and maybe break them down into 2 or 3 ribs? Then glaze in the last hour? YUM!

OT- Did you find a crab salad recipe?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Laura's Sticky Wings by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for jumping i...)
Is all the sauce supposed to turn into glaze? I've had one set of wings in the oven for an hour and although the wings do have a glaze, there's still juice in the bottom of the pan.

I didn't begin soon enough and need the oven for something else so the last 2 pans have to go in together. I'll let you know how they turn out. crossed fingers!
Cory

I am not the model.