Pine Nut Dilemma
  Re: (...)
William only got one pack (1/2 cup), when I asked for two packs to make a double batch of pesto. What would you do? I have walnuts, almonds, and pecans....or I could just make half a batch and hope I have enough.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Pine Nut Dilemma by Gourmet_Mom (William only got one...)
Hmmm, I think I would add walnuts (chopped) and make the full batch. It can't change the flavor that much, Daph, and it'd be better than not having enuff
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
I'd make one batch with the pignoles and the other with walnuts.
  Re: Re: Pine Nut Dilemma by HomeCulinarian (I'd make one batch w...)
I'd send William back to the store But if that is not going to happen, I'd do what Cis said.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
They are so outrageously expensive here, that sometimes, I don't add them at all. I'd save the pecans and candy them.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Pine Nut Dilemma by Lorraine (They are so outrageo...)
I'd take the freshest (oiliest) of the nuts and mix them with the pine nuts--thats what you're looking for--oil!! Otherwise go get some more pine nuts--it will be good , regardless.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Pine Nut Dilemma by Old Bay (I'd take the freshes...)
So, what did you do????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pine Nut Dilemma by cjs (So, what did you do?...)
I wish my internet hadn't gone out AGAIN yesterday. I went with the almonds...the one with the least amount of oil. HMMMMMM? Good point on that Bill!

I saved the pine nuts to toss with the finished product (Creamy Pesto Pasta with Chicken) so you could get their full flavor and just used ALL almonds in the pesto. I don't think it made a BIG difference, but I want to try making pesto again with the pine nuts. I LOVE those little things! This is the first time I've had enough basil to actually make it myself. It turned out very good!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pine Nut Dilemma by Gourmet_Mom (I wish my internet h...)
I purchase pine nuts at Sam's to make pesto. You get a really big bag (about the size of a 5 lb. sugar bag) for around $5-$6. I split them with my mom and we make a huge batch of pesto.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Pine Nut Dilemma by luvnit (I purchase pine nuts...)
and they stay well in the freezer - so you can just grab what you need as you need.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com