My tagine...update
  Re: (...)
I received my tagine yesterday [guess what Sharon, the price has dropped to $31.95 + shipping now). As I was looking at it, there was a hole on the outside of the top, but it had been sealed with a smudge of clay on the inside and then glazed. The design painted on it had been smudged and it wasn't as pretty as the one on display. I called the company and they said that all of them had the hole in the top with some of them being sealed and some with the hole clear through. Because of the smudged, painted design they gave me a "defective" price, depositing the difference back into my account...haven't checked to see how much. The seasoning apparently affects the taste of foods prepared in it. The holes apparently doesn't affect the cooking ability.

So, the first thing you have to do is soak the whole thing in water for 1-2 hours [that's happening now], then dry it and wipe the whole thing with olive oil and then bake it for a couple of hours. That'll happen later.

Right now I'm making the Gingered Carrot Soup. I'll let you know how it is.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: My tagine...update by bjcotton (I received my tagine...)
I bet you're just having a ball! Cool that they gave you the discount!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: My tagine...update by Harborwitch (I bet you're just ha...)
Yeah, it was $10+.

Billy
  Re: Re: My tagine...update by bjcotton (Yeah, it was $10+....)
yipee - enough for another book - you didn't say which Nigella book your ordered!! ???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My tagine...update by cjs (yipee - enough for a...)
My nigella is little black seeds

Billy
  Re: Re: My tagine...update by bjcotton (My nigella is little...)
Can't wait to hear what you are going to make first. Do all tagines have to be soaked, oiled and baked before using?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: My tagine...update by Mare749 (Can't wait to hear w...)
That's what the instructions say for ceramic tagines. Mine is all ready to use now, course tomorrow I probably will cook on the BBQ if at all. Paul likes the meatloaf I made this AM while half asleep. Only thing I remember is leeks, ground beef, celery, red bell pepper, buttermilk, and eggs. Oh yeah, Panko bread crumbs.

Billy
  Re: Re: My tagine...update by bjcotton (That's what the inst...)
You lucky guy! I have always wanted one of those things. I remember when Jean got hers, how cool you two are.

Let me know how you like it. I keep talking myself out of buying one, then kick myself for doing so.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: My tagine...update by luvnit (You lucky guy! I hav...)
I doubt I get to cook in it until I return from Jean's [week after next]. Of course Jean will probably cook out of my new Moroccan cookbook before I get a chance . I hope the others arrive before I have to leave for Portland on Monday. I have Drs appts on Tuesday [final surgery exam] and on Wednesday a beginning [again] with the Gastroentritis people. They're supposed to set me up with a Pain Management Team [whatever that is]. Then Thursday or Friday, on to Jean's.

Billy