Satay with Peanut Sauce
  Re: (...)
Made this for Happy Hour this afternoon, using chicken tenders, marinated for 2 hours, then grilled. Really good!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Satay With Peanut Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizer

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
MARINADE:
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
2 garlic cloves -- minced or pressed
crushed dried red chili peppers
1 pound beef, pork or chicken -- very thinly sliced, cut in strips 1/2" wide 2" long
PEANUT SAUCE:
2/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar or molasses
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
4 garlic cloves -- minced or pressed
ground cayenne pepper
1/4 cup homemade chicken stock
1/4 cup heavy cream
GARNISHES:
grated lime zest
fresh cilantro sprigs

MARINADE: Combine brown sugar, curry powder, peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, garlic and crushed chiles to taste in a shallow dish. Thread the meat pieces on water soaked bamboo skewers, weaving skewers in and out of meat lengthwise to create a serpentine design. Place the skewers in the soy sauce mixture. Marinate at room temperature for at least 2 hours or in the refrigerator as long as overnight for a more intense flavor.

PEANUT SAUCE: Combine peanut butter, coconut milk, lemon juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and cayenne pepper to taste in a sauce pan over moderate heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce is as thick as heavy cream, about 15 minutes.

Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree briefly. Add chicken stock and cream; blend until smooth. Reserve. (This mixture may be made several hours ahead and refrigerated. Return to room temperature before serving.)

Prepare a moderate charcoal fire in an open grill or preheat the broiler. Cook the skewered meat, turning several times and basting with the marinade, over medium-hot coals (or under a broiler) until crispy on the outside but still moist inside, about 6 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle with lime zest and garnish with cilantro leaves. Serve with the peanut sauce for dipping.

Makes about 18 skewers; allow 2 per serving as an appetizer, 4 or more as a main coarse. For a main dish, serve with steamed rice, salad and grilled or steamed asparagus or other vegetable.
(From "Mouth-Watering Appetizers")
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Satay with Peanut Sauce by Mare749 ( Made this for Happy...)
I copied the peanut sauce portion. Love that stuff. My lil' sis used to buy the bottled stuff at a grocery, but they quit carrying it. So I've sent her several recipes. She seems to be willing to "settle" for something she doesn't like as much, so I am planning to make her some this week.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Satay with Peanut Sauce by bjcotton (I copied the peanut ...)
oh man, sounds good Maryann!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Satay with Peanut Sauce by cjs (oh man, sounds good ...)
Thank you for this. I needed a recipe in hand for tomorrow night before I head out to the grocery store today (gotta limit those trips to the grocery store with nine year old boy in tow) and this will fit the bill nicely.
  Re: Re: Satay with Peanut Sauce by Trixxee (Thank you for this. ...)
It sounds fabulous!

OT, is that a book you use often, Maryann?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Satay with Peanut Sauce by Lorraine (It sounds fabulous! ...)
Lorraine, it's a book that I never even looked at before, but will be using again! I have something like 46 books in my Mastercook program and hardly ever look through them. Sure glad I did. Are you looking for something special?
Maryann

Re: Re: Satay with Peanut Sauce by Mare749 (Lorraine, it's a boo...)
I've been finding recipes in those books also, it's fun to search some item and find all the goodies offered.

(Missed the amount of servings when I read your post - 9?? I've never seen that before, I don't think.)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Satay with Peanut Sauce by cjs (I've been finding re...)
It doesn't matter, Jean, we polished 'em off. Yummy.
Maryann

Re: Re: Satay with Peanut Sauce by Mare749 (Lorraine, it's a boo...)
OT Mastering Mastercook is on my post retirement list.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Satay with Peanut Sauce by Lorraine (OT Mastering Master...)
Well, that will take you maybe a day...then what?
www.achefsjourney.com