Sunday Dinner?
  Re: (...)
It is Sunday, isn't it?? Retirement plays h*ll with the ability to remember what day is which...

The freezer sage continues and a couple days ago I took a duck out of the freezer and I'm going to cook it this a.m. and kind of nibble on it all day with a duck salad for dinner.

I'm using a recipe from Epicurious, a '99 Bon Appetit - Duck with honey (& lavender). It received some great reviews and has a nice little twist, you add the liver to the cavity and at serving time, mash finely to serve with a baguette slice.

What are you all up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sunday Dinner? by cjs (It is Sunday, isn't ...)
Jennifer is due home from her trip today so we are having the Shrimp Sushi Parfait and I'm thinking about the fish burgers in the new LCBO magazine - or just some grilled fish and a nice big salad. Maybe the Blitz Bread to kick things up a little!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner? by Harborwitch (Jennifer is due home...)
MAN! I forgot about the parfait and used all my shrimp for scampi last night!!!! DARN!

Well, tonight I'm doing Billy's review dinner...Japanese Style Pork Cutlets with Walnut Cream Sauce, steamed veggies (read stewed squash and onion and/or sauteed green beans) and rice. The cake will have to wait until I can get my hands on some ginger....have not been to town lately. I'm making a change there though. I can't get all the ingredients for the Ginger Ginger cake, so I'm finally going to make "Billy's Famous" White Pepper Ginger Lemon Cake.

I think I may run in there and make up some Blitz Bread, too! I didn't make it yesterday because I still had some of Pete's Whole Wheat Bread from another site. After making garlic toast last night with part of it, William took care of the rest with a 'mater sammie awhile ago!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner? by Gourmet_Mom (MAN! I forgot about...)
What is "Pete's Whole Wheat Bread"??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner? by cjs (What is "Pete's Whol...)
You know Pete (the former dairy farmer from FL?) from that cooking forum? Recipegirl AKA Lori has his bread posted on her website as a REALLY good whole wheat bread. Here's her take on it...(I assume this is OK since she is a member here.) Pete's Whole Wheat Bread

We liked the flavor very much. It was my first attempt at "sandwich" style bread other than the popcorn bread. The popcorn bread success gave me the encouragement to try others. I've been wanting to try this one for months. I will probably use this as a base to spin off on adding nuts to replicate those rolls from the restaurant a few weeks back!

I'm done for now. My family LOVES having homemade bread around now. I've not had store-bought in the house all summer!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner? by Gourmet_Mom (You know Pete (the f...)
Man, that man can get himself in trouble....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sunday Dinner? by cjs (It is Sunday, isn't ...)
We're heading to the beach for seafood in a bit, we'll see what looks good. A lobster roll sounds good right about now.

I've been meaning to thank you, Jean, reading your duck plans reminded me. (I haven't been around much lately, I've been sewing for the wedding)

The cherry relish recipe you gave me was great. I made crostini with a swirl of cream cheese, the relish and some shredded duck warmed in duck fat. They weren't on the table for ten minutes before they were gone. Then my #3 used the cherry relish for grilled chicken he was serving to his friends. Great choice, and thanks again!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner? by pjcooks (We're heading to the...)
oh good, I'm glad you all liked it!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner? by Gourmet_Mom (MAN! I forgot about...)
Daphne make Billy's cake with lime instead of lemon! It is so fantastic we could not believe it! The best cake I've ever eaten. Much much better than the lemon!!! That's JMHO though!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner? by Harborwitch (Daphne make Billy's ...)
Doing a couple of Ribeyes that are in a "Japanese" style marinade and doing a shrimp fried rice and still considering a walk out to the edge of town near the highway for a soft serve cone for dessert as the weather is wonderful yet again today...

Back to six straight days of working and driving on Monday so I'll enjoy cooking one last time this week. I am away from home most days from 8:00am to well after 10:00 pm if you count the drive and 9 hours or more a day at work...150 miles round trip everyday...fun fun fun. Takes away from the cooking however and time with Kambree...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)