My New Smoker
  Re: (...)
Now, I'm going to have some fun! My old one was a top loader and a real pain in the a$$ to work with - think that's why I just didn't do much 'smoking.' My new one is a front 'loader' and so easy to use. First thing I smoked in it was some chicken thighs (marinated in cider vinegar, s&p, grlic, shallots) and smoked with apple chips. My, they are tasty little morsels.

I think today I'll play with a 'charcuterie platter' - I'm thawing out duck legs, I have some brats that are not cooked, and some other misc meats...dinner tomorrow?????

We're havin' fun now!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: My New Smoker by cjs (Now, I'm going to ha...)
One of these days, I'm going to finish making mine. Unfortunately, the drum I plan to use, although food grade, has a coating inside of it, so I'll need to give it a really good burn out before I adapt it for use as a smoker. Won't matter to me if it's top loading, since it will have been home built inexpensively.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: My New Smoker by labradors (One of these days, I...)
I just couldn't manage to get one of the two Sharon has into the car to bring home...wonder if I could sneak in the side gate and get it?

I was down in Winston [about 3 miles from Meatball] yesterday and saw a brand new 3 burner Brinkman for $100. The couple just in front of me bought it...darned the luck. Of course I didn't have a spare $100, but I do have credit cards.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: My New Smoker by bjcotton (I just couldn't mana...)
I like my Brinkman a lot, but a front loader sounds even better. What kind did you get Jean? Can you show us a pic?

We're doing Venison roast in ours today. I have 2 roasts marinading overnight. Today, we're going to cut some tiny slits and press slivers of garlic and bacon into them, and wrap a few pieces of bacon around the outside as well, since venison is very lean. We'll probably smoke them for about 6 to 7 hours.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: My New Smoker by Mare749 (I like my Brinkman a...)
My b/f bought me a Cookshack Smoker for our anniversary two years ago. I cannot rave enough about it. I think out of all the kitchen gadgets I have, this one takes a cake. I have smoked ribs, chicken, whole turkey, sturgeon, salmon. One thing is better than next. Those smokers are not cheap but if you can afford one go for it, you will not regret it.
  Re: Re: My New Smoker by piano226 (My b/f bought me a C...)
Here it is - AND it was on sale!!

[Image: smoker.jpg]

Four shelves and so easy for an old broad to load...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My New Smoker by cjs (Here it is - AND it ...)
William is REALLY looking at smokers lately. I think by hunting season, he'll be ready! Can't wait! I think I may start teasing him with some things done on my grill...it's supposed to work as a small smoker. I'll have to play with the burners to get the temp right, but I think it'll work.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: My New Smoker by Gourmet_Mom (William is REALLY lo...)
Quote:

William is REALLY looking at smokers lately.

Try this forum, which is dedicated to BBQ and smoking. Lot's of good information.
  Re: Re: My New Smoker by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thanks for reminding me labs. I think you sent me there when I was looking at barbequing the corned beef. That and Jean's search is what sent me off to make it! What a wonderful treat that turned out to be.

Anyway, I forgot to bookmark it, so thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: My New Smoker by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for reminding...)
You're welcome.