Pork Loin w/ Ribs and Fat
  Re: (...)
I went to one of the local stores and asked the meat department if they had pork loins with the ribs and fat still attached. They did indeed. They came two to the package but the store was more than happy to separate them and sell me one. It weighed 14.15 lbs so I had them cut it in half. It cost $2.78 per lb vs the $2.99 to $3.99 for just the loin without ribs and fat. Now, I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with them. I have most of the week [or longer since I froze them] because I leave for Portland tomorrow afternoon for my Drs appointments. So, put on your thinking caps.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Pork Loin w/ Ribs and Fat by bjcotton (I went to one of the...)
Oh, Billy, an old, old recipe jumped into my mind as I read this - the family used to love this dish, and as it says below especially with baked potatoes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

OVEN BARBECUED PORK ROAST

3 -5 lb. loin of pork roast
1 can tomato soup
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/3 cup celery, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
4 drops tabasco sauce

Roast the loin of pork, uncovered in a 325 F. oven for 45 minutes.

While the pork is roasting, combine the sauce ingredients and after the 45 minutes spoon over the roast making sure the sauce goes between the partial slices.
Continue roasting, spooning the sauce over the meat two or three times until the pork reaches 145 F. or another 45-55 minutes.

Finish slicing through the roast for individual portions and spoon sauce over each slice.

Description:
"Cut partially through the loin roast between the ribs to allow the sauce to cover as much of the roast as possible (as it cooks, the ribs will open and allow more of the sauce to cover). Baked potatoes go very well with this dish, spooning some of the sauce over the potatoes."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Loin w/ Ribs and Fat by cjs (Oh, Billy, an old, o...)
Billy,

Considering your other recent post, maybe you could render that fat to use as lard for the pastry.

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pork Loin w/ Ribs and Fat by labradors (Billy,[br][br]Consid...)
The last time I did this I was in New Zealand at Dale's. They cut the loin out but gave me the fat/meat combined. I put it in a low-slow oven and cooked it until it was nice and crisp. We ate it, with me eating the major portion I love that stuff.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pork Loin w/ Ribs and Fat by bjcotton (The last time I did ...)
Speaking of this post, this roast does not have much fat on it. So, that leaves out the lard idea. Krud!

Jean, would you brine this first? I'm sure with the roasting time it would get dry like pork loins tend to do.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pork Loin w/ Ribs and Fat by bjcotton (Speaking of this pos...)
I would brine it!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Pork Loin w/ Ribs and Fat by esgunn (I would brine it!...)
How would you season it Erin? Isn't this piece of meat, the loin with ribs, the same piece as a beef Prime Rib? Only pork of course. This sounds kind of good:

ROAST PORK
Printed from COOKS.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 (4 lb.) pork loin center rib roast
1 clove garlic
Pepper to taste
1 tbsp. oil
1/3 c. chopped onion
1 (10 oz.) jar current jelly
3/4 c. chili sauce
1/4 c. apple jelly
2 tbsp. white wine

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place pork, fat side up, on rack in shallow pan. Rub evenly with garlic and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set pan in oven. Reduce oven to 350 degrees. Roast 30 minutes. Add enough water to come 1/4 inches up side of pan. Roast 1 hour basting often. Meanwhile, heat oil in saucepan. Add onion and cook, stirring 3 minutes or until soft. Add next 4 ingredients and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 1 1/2 cups. Brush some of the sauce over pork. Continue to roast about 30 minutes.

When it says "chili sauce" do you think the Sweet Chili Sauce would be a good sub?

Billy
  Re: Re: Pork Loin w/ Ribs and Fat by bjcotton (How would you season...)
maybe a good sub, but I don't think you should use the same amount. Chili sauce doesn't have any heat at all. Looks like a nice sauce.

I also would brine it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Loin w/ Ribs and Fat by cjs (maybe a good sub, bu...)
Thanks Jean and Erin. I'll be putting it in the brine in an hour or so.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pork Loin w/ Ribs and Fat by bjcotton (Thanks Jean and Erin...)
Oh yum! The pork rib roast turned out nice and juicy with the tangy sauce nice and thick over the top. I will more than likely do this again. I'd give it about a 7.0-7.5, of course I only have my opinion to rely on since no body else is here. I made buttermilk mashed potatoes, green beans, milk gravy and corn to go with it. Instead of basting it with plain water like the recipe indicated, I covered it with foil and let it baste itself.

[Image: Pork-1.jpg]

Billy