Lard or Vegetable Shortening
  Re: (...)
I am kind of in a dilemma here. I can't decide which one I want to use. I know about lard since I've used it for years, but have never used vegetable shortening. Which do you all prefer? I want to make Pâté Brisée Pastry, but don't know which to use.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Lard or Vegetable Shortening by bjcotton (I am kind of in a di...)
Billy, I seem to remember my mom saying that lard always made the best pastry, (this was many years ago) but she used Crisco shortening to make hers because she thought it was better healthwise. I don't know if this is true or not, but she did make the best pastry. I can't seem to duplicate it no matter what I do!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Lard or Vegetable Shortening by Mare749 (Billy, I seem to rem...)
I use lard as did all that taught me in the past, both family and the pros. Funny, my Grandmother always used Crisco but swore up and down about the lard being the best.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Lard or Vegetable Shortening by bjcotton (I am kind of in a di...)
If lard is not a problem to your health--use lard. I use butter, lard, olive oil--when I die they will say "he lived well".
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Lard or Vegetable Shortening by Old Bay (If lard is not a pro...)
Awright! To speak truthfully, I was leaning toward lard, but wanted to know what y'all thought. If you'd said vegetable shortening I would have gone out and bought some. That is how much I trust your opinions. Thanks!

Billy
  Re: Re: Lard or Vegetable Shortening by bjcotton (Awright! To speak t...)
You are a wise man Billy! The lard will make a better crust. Crisco will make a good crust, but lard will make a better one!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Lard or Vegetable Shortening by Gourmet_Mom (You are a wise man B...)
When I can get my hands on lard, I also think that's the way to go. The best lard was when we were raising pigs - oh my the crusts I could make with that - flaky and mealy both!! Miss those days.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lard or Vegetable Shortening by cjs (When I can get my ha...)
Here's the Vidalia Onion Tart I want to make. It will probably have to wait until next week when I return from Portland.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Vidalia Onion Tart w/Spinach Pesto

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A Temp Cakes-Pies-Cookies-Tarts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Classic Pâté Brisée Pastry
1 cup all-purpose flour (250 ml)
1/4 cup cake and pastry flour (50 ml)
1/2 teaspoon salt (2 ml)
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter (50 ml)
3 tablespoons cold lard (45 ml) or vegetable shortening
4 tablespoons ice-cold water (4-5 Tbs) (60 to 75 ml)
Filling
2 medium Vidalia onions
1 tablespoon butter (15 ml)
1 teaspoon fresh thyme (5 ml) -- chopped
3/4 cup 18% cream (heavy whipping) (175 ml)
3 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt (1 ml)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (1 ml)
several fresh gratings of nutmeg
1 cup Gruyère or Swiss cheese (250 ml) -- grated
1/4 cup snipped chives (50 ml)
Spinach Pesto
1/4 cup toasted almonds, natural or blanched (50 ml)
2 cups lightly packed spinach leaves (500 ml)
1 small garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (2 ml)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (50 ml)
1/4 cup Parmigiano Regiano (50 ml) -- grated
Garnish
slivered almonds, toasted or snipped chives

Stir flours with salt. Coarsely grate butter and shortening into flour mixture or cut in with pastry cutter; toss with fingers to distribute evenly. Stir in 4 Tbs (60 ml) water with a fork. Knead lightly with hands to form into a ball, adding remaining 1 Tbs (15 ml) of water if needed. Flatten, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or up to a day.

Roll out chilled pastry on a floured surface until about 12 inches (30 cm) in diameter. Line a 10-inch (25 cm) tart pan with removable bottom, folding excess pastry up sides. Press pastry well above edge of pan. Refrigerate an hour or covered, up to a day. Then for extra-flakey pastry, pop into freezer while preheating oven.

Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).

Line tart shell with foil; generously add pie weights or coins to shell to prevent buckling. Bake 25 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool completely on a rack. (Shell can be baked a day ahead; lighly cover with waxed paper and leave at room temperature.)

Meanwhile, finely slice onions; there should be about 4 cups (1 L). Heat butter in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add onions; cover and cook 15 minutes or until onions are softened. Remove cover; continue cooking stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until onions are about a quarter of their original volume and most liquid seems to be gone. Adjust heat as needed to avoid browning onions. Remove from heat; stir in thyme. Cool completely.

Increase oven temperature to 400°F (200°C).

Stir cream with eggs, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Spread onions evenly in pastry; sprinkle with cheese and chives. Pour over cream mixture.

Bake in oven center for 20 to 25 minutes or until tart seems set and is golden in color.

To make pesto, whirl almonds in blender or food processor until finely chopped. Coarsely chop spinach; add to almonds along with garlic and salt. Whirl until finely chopped. Add olive oil; whirl until a fine paste. Lastly, briefly whirl in cheese.

Serve tart hot, warm or room temperature with a dollop of spinach pesto overtop. Garnish with toasted slivered almonds or a scattering of snipped chives.

Source:
"LCBO Food & Drink Early Summer 2008"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Billy
  Re: Re: Lard or Vegetable Shortening by bjcotton (Here's the Vidalia O...)
YUM!!!! Thanks for the recipe Billy! This is definitely a must try!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Lard or Vegetable Shortening by Gourmet_Mom (YUM!!!! Thanks for ...)
I might try to make it this week in Portland. The picture shows it made in a 9- X 13-inch pan (it has been taken out of the pan), but the only tart pans I have are round. It looks like it might be too much for my tart pans.

Billy