A Basil Question
  Re: (...)
Has anyone had any experience with "Puck" Basil? It's latin name is Ocimura basilicum minimum and the blurb on the stick says "Condensed habit and excellent culinary qualities combine to make this variety ideal for growing inside on a windowsill. Keep fresh basil around all year, indoors!" I planted it outside since I don't have an indoor planter and was wondering if it would survive in the heat?

I've Googled it and looked everywhere I can think of, but all it says is that it is a "pot" herb.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: A Basil Question by bjcotton (Has anyone had any e...)
I've never heard of it, Billy, but all varieties I have planted love the heat. Make sure it doesn't really dry out, and pick off and trim it if it looks like it's flowering. Gil has Holy Basil in a pot that sits out in full sun and heat all day, and is doing great.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: A Basil Question by Lorraine (I've never heard of ...)
I hadn't heard of it either and it doesn't appear in the Food Lover's Companion. One of the Fred Meyer stores here has it. Oh well, on my way back from town I'll get a couple of other kinds and plant in with it...it's in a 2.2 cubic feet pot so it'll fit.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: A Basil Question by bjcotton (I hadn't heard of it...)
haven't heard of it either.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A Basil Question by cjs (haven't heard of it ...)
" .it's in a 2.2 cubic "

I don't think you'll have a problem. Gil's pots are about 10 in in diameter. Mind you, I did have to water them 3 times a day, when it was 100 degrees.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: A Basil Question by Lorraine (" .it's in a 2.2 cub...)
My Basil is one of the only things planted to survive the rains of June. I have not heard of the variety you mentioned Billy but I normally transplant my Basil and several other herbs to pots for the winter and bring them in. The smells on a "warm" winter day with the sun shining in the windows make the house a joy to be stuck in. I have heard of people growing Roma tomatoes and a couple of other varieties in their homes as well.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)