Recipe for Fleming's Potatoes
  Re: (...)
Tasted these for the first time last week at Fleming's Steakhouse in San Diego and immediately googled for the recipe. Found many on the Web. One thing that I need to ask about - all instances of this recipe say to cover the gratin dish with plastic wrap, then foil and bake. Plastic wrap and bake? Could that be wrong? Won't it melt?
  Re: Recipe for Fleming's Potatoes by carolekv (Tasted these for the...)
We always did this in the restaurant and caterers where I worked, since it kept the food from sticking to the foil. I'm not sure how different the home-consumer plastic wrap is from the food-service plastic wrap, though, so I've never tried it at home.

Maybe the particular wrap you are using has a customer-service number on the package, and they will have more information.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Love their cream corn also. Would love that recipe. I always use Gulliver's recipe but Flemings has a little touch of pickled jalapeno and I love that. Just a great restaurant. (Would also love their bluebery lemon drop recipe.)
Shannon
Restaurants do it also. To my amazement, it doesn't melt. Have to very careful when peeling it off. It is very hot!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Recipe for Fleming's Potatoes by Lorraine (Restaurants do it al...)
Did some more checking. The websites or packages of the various brands (Glad, Saran, Wonderwrap) say not to use them in the oven (Wonderwrap, in their microwave instructions, specified not to use it in a convection oven). None of them mentioned anything about foil, however.

A couple of other sites said that the plastic wrap protects the food from sticking to the foil, and the foil protects the plastic wrap from melting. Nothing I could find, though, mentioned whether there was any difference between home-consumer and food-service wrap.

Of course, there were also the crackpot sites that still try to promote the urban legend that says one should NEVER heat ANY food in ANY plastic, since it releases dioxin or other cancer-causing agents into the food. Some idiocies never die.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Recipe for Fleming's Potatoes by labradors (Did some more checki...)
Well, I made them tonight and left the plastic wrap out - didn't say it was okay on the package, so was afraid to try. Potatoes were great, but we continue to have issues with the temp in our oven, so had to cook much longer. I think I did see the creamed corn recipe from Fleming's somewhere in my Google search for all recipes from that place - I was also looking for their recipe for their champagne infused brie, which was also heavenly. Found a few other cool things to try - chipotle mac & cheese?
  Re: Re: Recipe for Fleming's Potatoes by carolekv (Well, I made them to...)
So--are we going to get the recipe? I love Fleming's potatoes!! We can screw it up on our own!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Recipe for Fleming's Potatoes by Old Bay (So--are we going to ...)
Yes, the recipe for Fleming potatoes please
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Recipe for Fleming's Potatoes by bjcotton (Yes, the recipe for ...)
You know they cover our hotel pans with plastic and then foil here as well, but I think it may be a special restaurant grade plastic wrap. If the purpose is to prevent the potatoes from sticking to the foil, I would use that Release Foil from Reynolds. I love that stuff. It is expensive, but I have a roll to use just for those types of dishes. I have never had anything stick to it!

Dang near came unglued when I saw Chelsea grab that stuff and wrap a leftove with it!
  Re: Re: Recipe for Fleming's Potatoes by iBcookin (You know they cover ...)
Excellent idea on the release foil! I'll try that. And here is the recipe... Only changes I did make were that I only used 1 tsp of pepper (and it was certainly peppery enough) and no plastic wrap. Change I'll make next time is to cook them in two serving casserole dishes, which is how the restaurant served them to us. I think they might brown up better that way. (I'm still learning the technique to make cheesy casserole things perfectly bubbly and browned, so jump in if you have recommendations!)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fleming's Prime Steakhouse Potatoes

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Potatoes Recipes to Try

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup half and half
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper -- finely ground
1 small jalapeno -- finely diced, without seeds
3 ounces leeks -- cut off ends, clean, dice bottom 3 inches only into 1/2 " dices
3 cups cheddar cheese -- grated
4 pounds russet potato -- peeled, sliced into 1/4" thick circles

Heat cream and half-and-half in large sauce pot on medium high heat to simmer. Add salt and black pepper.
ngs.

Place jalapeños and leeks in a large mixing bowl.

When cream is hot, remove from heat, add cheddar cheese and blend in thoroughly.

Combine potatoes and cream mixture in mixing bowl with leeks and jalapeño and mix well.

Spray sides and bottom of a 9 x 12-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place potato mixture in pan and evenly distribute the potatoes.

Cover with plastic wrap and then with aluminum foil. Bake in 350°F. oven for 35 to 45 minutes. Remove wrap and foil and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes to brown top.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 731 Calories; 46g Fat (55.4% calories from fat); 23g Protein; 60g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 156mg Cholesterol; 1121mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 8 Fat.