Powdered Sugar
  Re: (...)
I promised "The employee" a while back I'd make him a cheescake or carrot cake when school got out. I felt I owed it to him for helping so much with the garden...even though the variety of beans and some of the tomatoes were not what I would have picked out.

ANYWAY, he's coming to dinner tonight and I find that I've got everything for the carrot cake minus 1 and half cups of powdered sugar for the cream cheese frosting. I only have 2 cups. Is it at all possible to process regular sugar to the point that it would cream in the frosting? I've got corn stock on the stove and tomatoes that need processing....I don't really need to leave the house this afternoon.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Powdered Sugar by Gourmet_Mom (I promised "The empl...)
I don't think you'd have a problem using some granulated sugar - the ratio for substituting granulated for confectioners is -
1 cup confectioners' use 1/2 cup + 1 T. granulated

Just looked at your time and I'm probably too late with this info...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Powdered Sugar by cjs (I don't think you'd ...)
Nope! I'm saving this info, but I went to make the cake part while I was waiting, and dang is somebody hadn't eaten my pineapple! So I went to the store. Thanks for jumping in Jean. I'm trying your Lunch Pail Recipe this time...wish me luck!

Off to start the cake. The corn stock is cooling. MAN it smells good! I'll strain it later, when it's cooled enough to handle and put in the fridge. I'll pack for freezing tomorrow while processing tomatoes! WHEW!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Powdered Sugar by Gourmet_Mom (Nope! I'm saving th...)
Oh, I'm so glad you're trying the corn broth/stock Daphne. It's so good in so many things.

Oh, the LunchPail carrot cake - I think that's my all time favorite. Wish I was closer.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Powdered Sugar by cjs (Oh, I'm so glad you'...)
Which recipe are you using for the Carrot Cake? Here's one I use all the time, and yes it "means" 6 cups shredded carrots

* Exported from MasterCook *

Best Carrot Cake Ever

Recipe By :Nan - Allrecipes.com
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :1:30
Categories : Cakes-Pies-Cookies-Tarts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 cups grated carrots
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup raisins -- optional
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil -- see note
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup crushed pineapple -- drained
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup flaked coconut -- optional

NOTE: If desired, substitute 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce for half of the oil.
1. In a medium bowl, combine grated carrots and brown sugar. Set aside for 60 minutes, then stir in raisins (or coconut).
2. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 10-inch cake pans (or three 9-inch cake pans).
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light. Gradually beat in the white sugar, oil and vanilla. Stir in the pineapple. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir into the wet mixture until absorbed. Finally stir in the carrot mixture and the walnuts. Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
4. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes (35 to 40 for 9-inch pans) in the preheated oven, until cake tests done with toothpick. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire rack. When completely cooled, frost with a cream cheese frosting.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have subbed dried cranberries for the raisins, pecans for the walnuts, added the coconut, deleted the coconut, I've tried it in all combinations...they're all good. I used to have 5 or 6 recipes for carrot cakes, I deleted all but this one. I always sub the apple sauce for half the oil. Nice moist cake.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Powdered Sugar by bjcotton (Which recipe are you...)
She said she's using the Lunch Pail carrot cake recipe...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Powdered Sugar by cjs (She said she's using...)
Yes, Billy, but thanks....I have that one saved as well.

Jean, the Lunch Pail is my favorite so far. I made a few mistakes with it though. I was going to be a smart alec and veer from the original on the first go...HMMMM? Anyway, not a big loss. I made a layer cake instead of a sheet cake, still took the full 45 to cook...surprised me. My biggest problem, was I wish I had made more frosting. I didn't really need it, but it would have been prettier. It would also have been prettier if I had frosted it and added crushed nuts around the sides like I did last time. Then I would have done fine with the amount of frosting.

Anyway, the comparison to the Cuisine at Home in a thread on Carrot Cake a while back. I liked this one better. I like the lighter, more cake-like recipe. The amount of moisture in the C@H cake made it VERY dense and heavy. "The employee" liked that one better. Either way, both are winner recipes.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Powdered Sugar by Gourmet_Mom (Yes, Billy, but than...)
glad you liked it.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Powdered Sugar by cjs (glad you liked it. [...)
Has the lunch pail carrot cake been posted/shared here????

Found it - here is Jeans lunch pail carrot cake recipe.

THE LUNCH PAIL CARROT CAKE

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 1/3 cup salad oil
4 eggs -- slightly beaten
2 cups finely shredded carrots
1 cup crushed pineapple with syrup
2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add the oil, eggs, carrots, pineapple with syrup, and vanilla. Mix until moist, then beat 2 minutes on medium speed.

Bake in greased 9 X 13" pan for about 45 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.

Over the years, my family has found three frostings we all love with this cake and it's a toss up which to use each time we make carrot cake.

Frosting #1 - CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

6 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 T. butter
2 tsp. vanilla
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts (toast them for a better flavor)

Combine cheese, butter and vanilla. Beat at low speed until light.
Gradually add sugar until fluffy. If necessary, add a little milk for spreading consistency. Stir in nuts or frost the cake and sprinkle the nuts over the frosting.

Frosting #2 - WHITE CHOCOLATE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

5 ounces white chocolate
1-1/4 pounds cream cheese, room temp.
4 tbsp. butter, unsalted, room temp
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups confectioners sugar

Melt chocolate. In an electric mixer, blend cream cheese, butter, and chocolate until smooth, Add lemon juice and vanilla. Blend then add sugar and slowly mix until combined, then beat fast for 30 seconds.

Frosting #3 - FRESH ORANGE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
makes 3 cups

8 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
1 stick (8T.) butter, room temp
3 c. confectioners' sugar, sifted
2 T. fresh orange juice
1 T. grated orange zest (from 1 med. orange)

Place cream cheese & butter in lg. mixing bowl. Blend w/mixer on low speed till combined, 30 seconds.

Add the sugar, a bit at a time, blending w/mixer on low speed till the sugar is well combined, 1 min. Then add the o.j. & zest to the mixture.

Increase the mixer speed to med. & beat till the frosting lightens and is fluffy, 1 min. more.
Use at once.

Description:
"There used to be a little café near Children's Home Society in San Jose, California, where my mother worked that offered the best carrot cake - this is their recipe."

Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Powdered Sugar by esgunn (Has the lunch pail c...)
that be the one!! So good - and it's always hard to choose the frosting...
www.achefsjourney.com