Roasting Tomatoes?
  Re: (...)
I found yesterday that most of the tomatoes that are ready are cherry tomatoes....some quite large. I'd call them "salad" tomatoes. They are thin-skinned. It seems ridiculous to skin the suckers, so I got to thinking. Why not toss with EVOO and roast them whole like in many of the recipes I've tried lately and freeze them that way? Maybe even add garlic and/or onion?

Can I stew them whole and use just like regular peeled tomatoes? I'm at a loss. I've GOT to do something with them...there's probably 10 pints of them or more! And MANY more on the way! (You wait until next year! I'll be picking ALL the plants!)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Roasting Tomatoes? by Gourmet_Mom (I found yesterday th...)
I so rarely skin tomatoes unless it's for some very special dish - like catering. Roasting tomatoes is a great way to go with all these little guys.

I would just toss with garlic oil and roast at 325.

or for slices, you can sprinkle with s&p and a little sugar.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Roasting Tomatoes? by cjs (I so rarely skin tom...)
Thanks Jean...this saves the day!!!! Oddly, I came up with the idea ar 4:30 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep! It just made sense!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Roasting Tomatoes? by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Jean...this s...)
I had a bumper crop of cherry toms last year. I tossed them with OO, sea salt, and some fresh thyme sprigs. Roasted them in a slow oven until they were a bit dry. We ate them like candy.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Roasting Tomatoes? by Lorraine (I had a bumper crop ...)
You know, I was thinking about that Lorraine. My oven is supposed to be able to dehydrate and I was thinking about doing what you are talking about and packing in oil. Kinda like sun-dried tomatoes.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Roasting Tomatoes? by Gourmet_Mom (You know, I was thin...)
My original plan was to pack them in oil. We used so many in salads, and on pasta, that they didn't last long enough for me to do that.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Roasting Tomatoes? by Lorraine (My original plan was...)
We found that also - and they are like eating candy
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Roasting Tomatoes? by cjs (We found that also -...)
Try roasting them on the grill. We get the disposable aluminmum pans and put them on indirect with EVOO, whole cloves of garlic, and tomato size chunks of onion. You can puree or mash. Add fresh herbs. Yum!
  Re: Re: Roasting Tomatoes? by HomeCulinarian (Try roasting them on...)
great way to do them!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Roasting Tomatoes? by cjs (great way to do them...)
Great idea! I'll be doing that with the next batch. It wouldn't have helped yesterday, it rained ALL day. But I WILL be having at least 2 or three more batches and it will be great not to have to heat the kitchen up all day and/or tie up the oven.

Jean, you said you don't peel tomatoes anymore. Are you talking about larger tomatoes you use for marinara/sauces?
Daphne