Speaking of Dinner Reviews?
  Re: (...)
Are we tired of them? Do we want to continue with them? If so, I'm suggesting this one - an oldie and maybe a lot of us have not made it... fingers crossed -

Thai Salad
(Cuisine, April 1997, Issue 2, p. 16)
Makes: 2 Salads Total Time: 40 Minutes Rating: Easy

For the Dressing—
Combine and Bring to Boil:
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 cup peanut butter, room temp.
3 T. light soy sauce
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken stock
3 T. honey, room temp.
2 T. sesame oil
2 T. minced ginger
2 T. red wine vinegar
2 T. minced garlic
1 T. sugar
1 T. Asian chili sauce

For the Salad—
Coat with Dressing, then Grill:
4 boneless chicken breasts (halves)

Fill between Sliced Chicken:
20 pea pods
40 stems enoki mushrooms

Toss in Bowl:
1 cup Napa cabbage ribbons
1/2 cup curly endive, torn
12 slices sweet red pepper
1/4 cup carrot, shredded
8 matchsticks cucumber
1/2 cup bean sprouts
4 whole baby corn, canned
2 T. cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup Thai dressing (below)

Garnish with:
4 cut wontons, fried in corn oil
Cashews

Combine all ingredients for Dressing and bring to boil.

Coat the chicken breast with a little of the Thai dressing, then grill and thinly slice it. Spread it in two fans along the rim of the plate.

Fill the open spaces on the plate’s rim with peapods. Top with bundles of flower-like enoki mushrooms, like a corsage.

Toss the remaining vegetables in the dressing before adding them to the plate. The dressed vegetables go right in the middle. Mound them into a sphere to add a little height and interest.

To garnish, cut wonton skins into triangles and fry them in corn oil a few seconds. Drain them and stick them in like wings for even more height. The final touch is cashews. They play up the peanut butter flavor in the dressing and make a great garnish.

Here's the salad - doesn't it look good and so summery!!

[Image: thaisalad.jpg]

Anyone interested, review date will be Monday, August ( AUGUST????? already????) 4th

P.S. I'm doing my won tons like this instead of the above suggested method -
* Exported from MasterCook *

WON TON CHIPS - SWEET & SPICY

Cut 12 wonton wrappers in half diagonally to create 24 triangles, arrange in a single layer on a b. sheet.
Brush triangles evenly with:
2 tsp. dark sesame oil
Combine:
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. wasabi powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. grd. red pepper
Sprinkle evenly over triangles.
Bake at 400° for 5 min. or till lightly browned & crisp

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Speaking of Dinner Reviews? by cjs (Are we tired of them...)
Count me in on this one - light summery and it fits our new eating style! Yummmmmm.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Speaking of Dinner Reviews? by Harborwitch (Count me in on this ...)
Absolutely. One look at those ingredients got my attention.

Funny, I was just thinking about dinner reviews, so glad you posted this. I was also thinking that it had been a while since we did a mystery dinner and that was fun too.

P.S. I like your idea for the won tons.
  Re: Re: Speaking of Dinner Reviews? by Mare749 (Absolutely. One look...)
I still like them, even though I don't participate all the time. This one looks great, and I have not made it.
Thanks for digging this one up!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Speaking of Dinner Reviews? by esgunn (I still like them, e...)
Jean, I'm still interested, for sure. I think that's one of the reasons I've been in a slump lately. I need the motivation to experiment. Although, I think I'm going to play with pasta this coming week. It's time to try the extruder and that salmon ravioli with lemon dill sauce...LOL!

This looks good to me. I think I just saw something very much like this on that recipe site I was looking at yesterday. The dressing ingredients look VERY familiar. We really enjoyed the Thai wraps in that review, so I'm looking forward to Thai this time. I will probably have to omit the mushrooms, but other than that, it looks doable to me. I'm in.

BTW, Billy, I did finally do your dinner. The double breading was really good on the pork and we loved the sauce...just not sure about it together. But thanks for sharing! I still haven't been to town for the ginger, so the cake is still on hold. Next week probably.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Speaking of Dinner Reviews? by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, I'm still inte...)
Oh, I'm so glad others are interested!! You new folks, anyone that wants to join us, please do - the more the merrier.

We just pick a dinner from the Cuisine at Home magazines (different someone's pick each time) and we all have at least two weeks to fit it into our dinner schedules.

Then on the review day, always a Monday, we all write up what we think of it. We all "try" to keep still about them until review day, but sometimes we're so excited or turned off we get ahead of ourselves.

So, that's all there is to it and please join us!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Speaking of Dinner Reviews? by cjs (Oh, I'm so glad othe...)
I would like to try this, just to be clear, the review day will be Aug 4?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Speaking of Dinner Reviews? by chef_Tab (I would like to try ...)
Yes, the date would be two weeks from Monday...ALREADY AUGUST....GASP! I will NOT go look at how many weeks I've got...I will not!!!

BTW, Tab, some of these people are quite creative with their reviews. You may want to check out some of the other reviews. If you type review into the search box and make your range 2 years, you'll get lots of recipes and examples of the review posts. To get even more, make it 4 years and less 2 years...the second date range tab. This is a GREAT way to collect many of the great recipes from past issues!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Speaking of Dinner Reviews? by Gourmet_Mom (Yes, the date would ...)
I have never participated in a review but there is no reason on earth I can't start. This recipe sounds delish and I wish I had some of those wonton chips right now!
  Re: Re: Speaking of Dinner Reviews? by Trixxee (I have never partici...)
Trixxee, if I were you, I'd go ahead and do all 12 of the wrappers (24 pieces) - even tho you only need 2 per salad, they are addictive!
www.achefsjourney.com