The devil made me do it!
  Re: (...)
I just had to RAVE about my lunch! It was so good, I just went back for a little more and decided I just HAD to share! (I may even ditch dinner plans and have it again for dinner!)

Those first BLTs of the summer are always good, but this one was EXTRA GOOD! Here's what made this one EXTRA special...at least to us!

-I've been cooking thick sliced bacon on the grill lately and it just gets so much more smokey flavor. It was even more noticeable on this simple sandwich.

-Then, there were the first large really ripe tomatoes to come off this year. Just the right flavor! YUM! I've got to go mark those bushes down to include in next year's garden.

-Add some leftover shredded romaine and Duke's Light Mayo.

-Now, the final EXTRA: I made fresh popcorn bread late last night and we used that for the sammies!

OH BOY! It don't get no better than that!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: The devil made me do it! by Gourmet_Mom (I just had to RAVE a...)
Drooling now. Sure, you have tomatoes already! They aren't ready here yet. At least I haven't seen any at the local farmers market. I have given up growing all but herbs. I hope to retire in your area some day. I miss the east coast.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: The devil made me do it! by Gourmet_Mom (I just had to RAVE a...)
[quote
OH BOY! It don't get no better than that!

[/blockquote]

No it don't, Daphne! Lucky you, not many fresh tomatoes around here yet, what a great lunch!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: The devil made me do it! by pjcooks ([quote[br]OH BOY! It...)
Next, sprinkle freshly ground black pepper onto the bacon as it's grilling.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: The devil made me do it! by labradors (Next, sprinkle fresh...)
You know Labs, I saw a recipe in the new Sandwiches and Salads book with peppered bacon, but didn't think about that. I've seen it sold that way, but never thought of doing while it was grilling! Next time FOR SURE! There was no need for salt...salty bacon and sweet tomato...classic flavor combo. The next logical shortcut would be to eliminate the pepper from the sammie...add it to the bacon...PERFECT! Thanks!

BTW, can you tell how excited I am at having these lovely delights available all the time for a while?!?! I'm sorry to rub it in to you guys that don't have farm fresh tomatoes yet, but I couldn't help myself...thus the title of the thread! I knew I would be one of the first to have these babies available.

I plan to GORGE myself in them for the next weeks! I wanna try them with fresh basil or basil mayo and then avocado, and then the club variations! Who knows! I may not even need to freeze tomatoes...LOL!

Next, peaches! Georgia Belles should be ready in the next week or two! I know you guys probably get some really nice peaches where you are, but in my opinion, these are the fruit of the gods! And it just so happens I need to make a trip South for an upgrade on my car in the next week or two....HMMMM! I weekend in Charleston on the dealership should make a nice early anniversary trip! I love when things work out so nicely!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: The devil made me do it! by Gourmet_Mom (You know Labs, I saw...)
Soooo jealous!!!!

To me that is my justification for all the work I put into the garden. To walk out there at 5:00, pick a tomato, some cukes, some lettuce, make a salad that is going in my mouth fifteen minutes later, or a squash that makes an immediate dash to the grill!
  Re: Re: The devil made me do it! by iBcookin (Soooo jealous!!!![br...)
Nothing better than tomatoes straight from the garden!! We've been using basil leaves on our BLTs (BBTs).

Man, those sound good, Daphne.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com