The Fear Factor
  Re: (...)
When a recipe directs me to cook something on med-high or high, I have this unreasoning fear that I am going to burn it. Sharon and I discussed this less-than-desirable trait, but I still have it. Any suggestions on how to get over it? On my new stove I have 2 super-burners, 2 regular burners, and a simmer burner. Even the simmer burner can get pretty hot, but the super-burners are like a blast furnace. So when I do a recipe like "Pan-seared Shrimp" in my mind I see these little black lumps laying on the bottom of my pan just seconds after I put them in there.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: The Fear Factor by bjcotton (When a recipe direct...)
I had the same fear until two things happened: 1.I took a cooking class 2.I bought a quality, heavy bottomed pan. Number one taught me I really needed number two! I guess seeing and tasting the results of searing were enough to make a believer out of me. My guess is you are already beyond me. Just adding my experience.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
Billy, I don't think I have ever cooked meat of any kind on high, except on my old old stove. But I do on Medium high. Especially to get the pan hot and but the meat in. You just can't get a nice crust/brown on it if it is not hot enough. You will over cook the meat before it browns. Really important if you are browing something before continued cooking in the oven or crock pot.

Good pans are important for this.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: The Fear Factor by esgunn (Billy, I don't thin...)
Quote:

I don't think I have ever cooked meat of any kind on high. But I do on Medium high.
Good pans are important for this.

Yes and yes!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
Heee!Heee! I cheat! From now on Bob is in charge of high heat cooking!!! He's fearless.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: The Fear Factor by Harborwitch (Heee!Heee! I cheat!...)
Billy, steak is the only meat I sear over screaming hot heat. Most skillets/saute pans should not (will not) handle high heat. Medium high heat, heat the pan, and when you toss a little water in it and it sizzles nicely, add your oil and meat to brown, stay right there. Don't try to move the meat (or product) until it's ready to release and you will know when that happens.

Just don't walk away from your stove and you should be fine. Help any?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The Fear Factor by cjs (Billy, steak is the ...)
I wanted a salamander--Jane said we didn't have room--I told her we didn't have room for refrigerator drawers (or the money, for either).
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: The Fear Factor by Old Bay (I wanted a salamande...)
I'd love to have a salamander too!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The Fear Factor by cjs (I'd love to have a s...)
I don't have a salamander, either. Lots of geckos, but no salamander.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: The Fear Factor by labradors (I don't have a salam...)
Ya beat me to it Labs!

Jean, I would something like a cast-iron skillet, Le Creuset, be best or my Cuisinart sauté pan? I know the Cuisinart says not to use high heat.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy