REVIEW: French Onion Salisbury Steak
  Re: (...)
Thank you HMin and Trixxee! Hmin brought the recipe to my attention and Trixxee provided the recipe.

OH MY! Everybody at the table RAVED about this one! I'd give this one a 10. I heard mumbles of repeat after the first bite! I did the recipe as written except that I used popcorn bread for the Cheese Toast. It was sooo much like French Onion Soup, what with the "crouton" on the bottom instead of the top. I could have eaten this without the meat...LOL! It was also an attractive dish. I would have no trouble making this for company.

As for it being labor intensive, I didn't find it so...but then I teach school and get home at an earlier hour than most people who work. Start to finish, I could have it on the table in an hour...mashed potatoes and green beans or salad to go with.

It would be really easy to freeze ahead though. The only thing you'd have to do is warm the meat and soup while you made the toast and sides. I could even see this being done in a crock pot...Fry up the meat, saute the onions, make the soup, then put it all in the crock pot and put on LOW until ready to eat.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: REVIEW: French Onion Salisbury Steak by Gourmet_Mom (Thank you HMin and T...)
O.K., what thread do I go to to see the recipe again...

Nevermind, here it is -

French Onion Salisbury Steak
(Cuisine at home, April 2005, Issue 50, p. 32)
Makes: 4 Steaks Total Time: 20 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

For the Salisbury Steaks—
Combine; Divide and Form Patties:
1 1/4 lb. ground chuck
1/4 cup fresh minced parsley
2 T. scallion, minced
1 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. black pepper

Place in Shallow Dish; Dredge Steaks:
2 T. all-purpose flour

Heat; Saute Patties; Remove and Set Aside:
1 T. olive oil

Add; Saute:
2 cups onions, sliced
1 t. sugar

Stir in; Saute:
1 T. garlic, minced
1 T. tomato paste

Stir in:
2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup dry red wine
3/4 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. dried thyme leaves
4 t. minced fresh parsley

Serve on:
Cheese Toasts

Garnish with:
4 t. Parmesan cheese, shredded

Related Recipes:
Cheese Toasts

Combine chuck, parsley, scallion, salt, and pepper. Divide evenly into 4 portions and shape each into 3/4–1"-thick oval patties.

Place 2 T. flour in a shallow dish; dredge each patty in flour. Reserve 1 t. flour.

Heat 1 T. oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add patties and saute 3 minutes on each side, or until browned. Remove from pan.

Add onions and sugar to pan; saute 5 minutes.

Stir in garlic and tomato paste; saute 1 minute, or until paste begins to brown. Sprinkle onions with reserved flour; cook 1 minute.

Stir in broth and wine, then add the salt and thyme. Return meat to pan and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.

Serve steaks on Cheese Toasts with onion soup ladled over.

Garnish with parsley and Parmesan.

Serve with cheese toasts - see the online recipe.
------
Cheese Toasts
(Cuisine at home, April 2005, Issue 50, p. 33)
Makes: 4 Toasts Total Time: 20 Minutes Rating: Easy

Place on Baking Sheet:
4 slices French bread or baguette, cut diagonally (1/2" thick)

Combine; Spread on one Side:
2 T. unsalted butter, softened
1/2 t. garlic, minced
Pinch of paprika

Combine; Sprinkle Evenly:
1/4 cup Swiss cheese, grated
1 T. Parmesan cheese, grated

Related Recipes:
French Onion Salisbury Steak

Preheat oven to 400°.

Place bread on a baking sheet.

Combine butter, garlic, and paprika, and spread on one side of each slice of bread.

Combine cheeses and sprinkle evenly over butter. Bake until bread is crisp and cheese is bubbly, 10–15 minutes. Cheese Toasts shown here topped with French Onion Salisbury Steak.

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: REVIEW: French Onion Salisbury Steak by cjs (O.K., what thread do...)
Glad you liked it! It's one of my favorite dishes.
  Re: Re: REVIEW: French Onion Salisbury Steak by Trixxee (Glad you liked it! ...)
OH TRIXXEE! I just finished another serving for lunch! It is WONDERFUL!

Thanks Jean...sorry, but I didn't think to post the recipe unless someone requested. I never know whether to post or not to post...LOL! I guess a 10 rating would mean I should post! Here's the site that Trixxee sent me to get the recipe originally. La Mia Cucina Salisbury Steak Review Trixxee, is this your blog?

Two things I remembered while eating today...

I want to make the patties thinner next time...you know how beef "pumps up" when cooked. It would be easier to eat when thinner and bigger ovals...at least the size of my bread, so that when it cooks up, you'll have a nice border around the beef patties. This time, my patties were MUCH smaller than the bread.

Also, I did make another change. I used 2 cups water and beef base instead of box/canned broth. I probably intensified the flavor by using a larger portion of base:water than recommended.

A final note....be careful with salt. Even though my base is lower in sodium than stock would be, I got a very RICH soup that could easily become too salty. So be careful and taste, taste, taste.

And finally here's the picture from the site listed above. Mine looked exactly like this, except that I just grated the parm over the final product. [Image: 124477040_f61f387cd5_m.jpg]
Daphne
  Re: Re: REVIEW: French Onion Salisbury Steak by Gourmet_Mom (OH TRIXXEE! I just ...)
Not my blog. One day I wanted to forward the recipe to a friend of mine w/o re-typing it so I just did a search on Google and there it was.

I agree - go easy on the salt. I think the toasts are the best part. Yes, I have an addiction to bread!
  Re: Re: REVIEW: French Onion Salisbury Steak by Trixxee (Not my blog. One da...)
but, but, but - is that the recipe?? from C@H?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: REVIEW: French Onion Salisbury Steak by cjs (but, but, but - is ...)
Yup. Identical. That person also credits C@H with the recipe and is not trying to pass it off as her own.
  Re: Re: REVIEW: French Onion Salisbury Steak by Trixxee (Yup. Identical. Th...)
I'm sorry Jean. I seem to be kinda chatty today and confused the issue. Yes it is a C@H recipe. It's hit over 100 here today and the poor air conditioner isn't able to keep up! IT'S HOT! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
Daphne
  Re: Re: REVIEW: French Onion Salisbury Steak by Gourmet_Mom (I'm sorry Jean. I s...)
hey, it's just me, it doesn't take much to confuse me these days...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: REVIEW: French Onion Salisbury Steak by cjs (hey, it's just me, i...)
Another great fall sounding recipes! Sorry, Jean.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.