Homemade Corn Dogs
  Re: (...)
There is a little server at one of our favorite lunch places here in town that was complaining to me that she can't find a good "old Fashioned corn dog" anywhere anymore. She used to get them from a vendor at a local shrimp festival, but the vendor wasn't there this year!!

She asked me if I could track down a recipe for her - I've never been a big fan of these, so I'm not sure I'd know a good one from a bad one, but do any of you have some ideas for her?? Really looking for something you've tried not just searching on the net - I can do that.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Homemade Corn Dogs by cjs (There is a little se...)
Jean, this is going to sound stupid, but why not buy a ready made one. When fried correctly, this brand is pretty good IMHO. State Fair Brand Corn Dogs As a matter of fact, I think most of the festival vendors here use it at their stands.

That being said, I happen to remember Alton Brown doing corn dogs one time. If there is anyone that I could trust to do them and do them right on the net, it would be him. I know you asked for tried and true, and I haven't. (See above note on brand) But IF I DID go there, this is the recipe I'd try first. Alton Brown Makes Corn Dogs

I'll be watching to see if any of the tremendous cooks here have actually made them from scratch. If I had to put money on one of the regulars, I'd go for Erin...LOL! Something about those triplets just SCREAMS corn dogs. Her or PJ...you know...college crowd pleasers....
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Homemade Corn Dogs by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, this is going ...)
Well, I did find Alton Brown's and Emeril's - both got 4 out of 5 stars - I'll have to start playing with those, if Erin and/or PJ don't come thru....

I'm going home made, 'cause that's what she asked for and between all of us, we ought to be able to come up with something darn good!! (fingers crossed.)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Homemade Corn Dogs by cjs (Well, I did find Alt...)
Sorry, We just buy the frozen kind. But rarely.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Homemade Corn Dogs by esgunn (Sorry, We just buy ...)
Here, only teenage daughter likes them.
[Image: corn%20dogs%20small.JPG]
I bought a box of corn dog bites at Sam's a few years back. Cocktail size weiners covered with cornbread - no stick. She pigged out on them and I haven't bought any since.
  Re: Homemade Corn Dogs by cjs (There is a little se...)
I've had this in my to try file for about a year. Someone had posted the recipe at the epi recipe swap.

Bisquick Cornbread Dogs

These corn dogs are just like the ones you remember from when you were a kid. Make a large batch and serve with a variety of prepared mustards for a dipping party.

Vegetable oil for frying
1 cup biscuit mix
1/2 cup cornmeal
2/3 cup milk
1 egg
1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon liquid honey
2 lbs wieners (about 8), cut into 1 inch pieces (see Tip)

*Preheat oven to 200 F.
*16 cup saucepan or deep fryer.
* Candy/deep-fry thermometer.

In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat about 4 inches of oil until thermometer registers 360 F.

In a large bowl, blend biscuit mix, cornmeal, milk, egg, butter and honey to make a smooth batter. Let stand for 10 minutes. Pat wieners pieces dry. Dip wiener pieces, one at a time, into mixture, coating all sides.

Place wiener pieces in hot oil, 4 at a time, and deep fry, turning once, until golden brown, about 15 seconds per side. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil. Transfer to an ovenproof platter and keep warm in preheated oven. Make sure oil is the correct temperature before adding each batch.

Serves 12 for appetizers or 8 as a main dish.

TIP: If you are using jumbo wieners, you will only need 4. Use beef or chicken dogs interchangeably.

VARIATION: For a little bite, add 1 tsp. hot pepper flakes to the batter prior to frying.

125 Best Biscuit Mix Recipes
rosie
  Re: Re: Homemade Corn Dogs by ktsrosie (I've had this in my ...)
Jean, so far, I agree with all the answers given. I keep planning to experiment with making these, but have not done so yet. The grandkiddies like these a lot, especially the little ones from Sam's Club.

I saw a recipe once that used refrigerated corn stick dough, (from the dairy case) and they wrapped that around hot dogs and baked them in the oven. Thought that might be a good way to go, because at least you could use your favorite hotdog or brat, and it wouldn't be fried.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Homemade Corn Dogs by Mare749 (Jean, so far, I agre...)
Hmmmmm, I'm not particularly fond of them, so when any kids are (were) around I buy them with the all beef hot dog.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Homemade Corn Dogs by Mare749 (Jean, so far, I agre...)
Quote:

The grandkiddies like these a lot, especially the little ones from Sam's Club.

You got some of your grandchildren from Sam's Club?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Homemade Corn Dogs by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I thought about going back and changing that after I said it. Somehow I knew you were going to pick up on that one.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."