Saturday's Dinner?
  Re: (...)
I'm doing Hawaiian beef strips - everyone everywhere calls these little goodies by a different name - they are short ribs cut across the bone into a 'bacon-like' strips. Like eating candy.

And, finally, I'm playing with the chickpeas frites. Anxious to do this. May make a loaf of bread also, we're finally winding down with what's in the freezer.

Thinking of a quesadilla for brunch this a.m. or tomorrow a.m. I do have some shrimp (cooked) in the freezer, hmmmmm.

What are you all up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday's Dinner? by cjs (I'm doing Hawaiian b...)
Big scallops grilled in foil with some butter, salt and pepper along with bacon wrapped (found a good hickory smoked bacon) to put around a couple of sirloins that were wondering the fields a week ago...love local fresh meat. Doing some local sweet corn as well as it is that time of year finally. Maybe a salad with that honey mustard dressing you posted many moons ago.

That will be it for grilling as our "typical" weather returns overnight...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner? by firechef (Big scallops grilled...)
We have some leftover flank steak.  We will have a simple salad of sliced steak, lettuce, basil,red onions, cucumbers, tomatoes and a garlic & herb dressing with blu cheese crumbles. Oh, croutons. I think a light pinot noir.We are going to Jane's high school reunion for lunch (Mexican). She is a South Carolina girl but spent 2 years in Huntsville as a girl and claims it as her alma mater. She also returned and went to Sam Houston State University.  That's how she became a Texan. Never knew her then.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner? by Old Bay (We have some leftove...)
I have some of the pork "prime rib" left as well as some of the Red currant/Apple jelly sauce that went with it. I'm going to cut the meat off the ribs, candy it in a little of the sauce and do steamed veggies to go with it...cauliflower, broccoli, baby carrots, brussels sprouts, and red potatoes. Think that'll keep the 800 pound gorilla happy today. Next Saturday it will be fried chicken wings.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner? by bjcotton (I have some of the p...)
It's between beer can chicken, baked potatoes and corn on the cob or sharing a rib eye, the crab & corn stuffed jalapenos and baked potatoes. Whatever we don't do today we'll do tomorrow.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner? by bjcotton (I have some of the p...)
I'm doing the Tagliatelle Primavera with Goat Cheese and Seared Seafood that Trixxee mentioned the other day. I'm anxious to see if it's better than my primavera. She's not mentioned how it turned out, so I'll be the guinea pig...LOL!

I can't decide if the shrimp sushi parfait would be overkill. I've got some leftover spinach salad with pine nut dressing, and I'm making more bread. Then there will be one last slice of cheesecake before I send it away...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner? by Gourmet_Mom (I'm doing the Taglia...)
Last night, I still had a bit of the "10-Minute Puff Pastry" dough left over from when I made the Mushroom and Cheese Strudel, so I boiled a chicken with some added chicken bouillon and garlic bouillon, boiled (separately) some carrots and potatoes, drained the potato/carrot water into the chicken pot, sautéed some onions in butter, added some water, milk, cream of onion soup mix, and chipotle pepper powder, then put the carrots and onions back into it and started it simmering. Then, I pulled off some of the cooked chicken meat and added that to the other mixture. Finally, put the mixture into a pie plate, rolled out the leftover dough, placed it onto the pie plate as a top crust, then baked the whole thing for 30 minutes to make a chicken pot pie. It was great, and I'll be having leftovers of that tonight.

Late this morning, I pulled the rest of the chicken off the bones to store away for later, then brought the broth to a boil again, added some sesame oil and beaten eggs, and had egg-drop soup for lunch. I love cooking the chicken that way for future use, and using the remaining broth for egg-drop soup, and do this frequently.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner? by labradors (Last night, I still ...)
Interesting use of the broth. I'll have to remember that. We would always add pastry (I realize now this was nothing more than wide egg-less pasta.) or macaroni to ours. Pastry was always a special treat and reserved for Sunday dinner or family gatherings!

Speaking of adding beaten egg to broth, Mom reminded me a few weeks ago of a dish(es) we used to have when I was a child and money was tight. We got pork and beef for free from my grandfather's farm, so we had plenty of sausage on hand. She would take the sausage and crumble it in a pan of water and bring it to a boil. When the sausage was done, she would add several beaten eggs and cook 'til done. This would be served over rice. She would do the same thing with canned salmon. I had not thought of this in an age!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner? by Gourmet_Mom (Interesting use of t...)
Hey, that would be a good idea to use for the broth, etc., that dripped from the pork roast. I was trying to decide what to do with it. It's too good to throw away.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner? by bjcotton (Hey, that would be a...)
Very busy day. Tonight will be easy breezy. Fish on the grill, corn on the cob, and grilled broccolini. I love summer and I love my grill! I keep reading that stuffed jalapeno recipe and am pretty sure I will be making it this week if I can get the jalapenos at our local farmers market. You are all a very bad influence.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!