Sunday Dinner Plans? (OLD THREAD!)
  Re: (...)
We've volunteered to keep a Sheep Dog for a month for one of our professors going on sabbatical. We meet him tonight. I think it's a Briard [Image: sm_artwork.jpg]

And, there's a new bachelor professor living near me, and I had promised him a home-cooked meal sometime, so I invited him over tonight and we'll make a little cookout party out of it. One professor is Iranian and the other is from Spain.

I decided to make the Margarita Flank Steak dinner from Grilling Tonight. Also made a simple layered nacho dip for an appetizer and the key lime bars from the Holiday Cookies book for dessert. There's a key lime bars recipe in the Grilling book for a 9 x 13 pan. The other recipe is for a 9 x 9 pan - didn't want too much leftover! I've made the Holiday Cookies recipe before and it was really good. I'm going to use fresh berries and sweetened whipped cream for a garnish.

I know it's usually a bad idea to serve company something I haven't tried before... but I'm throwing caution to the wind...

What are you up to?
  Re: Sunday Dinner Plans? (OLD THREAD!) by HomeCulinarian (We've volunteered to...)
I like to do that also, Jeanette - sometimes it doesn't work, but mostly it does.

We're having a real mishmash for dinner. I want to try oven frying the Chickpea frites, have two artichokes to grill and a few Hawaiian beef strips left. I may play with a fruit ketchup to have with the fries.

I'm just realizing I don't have the grilling magazine you guys continue to talk about - Margarita Flank steak is another one I can't find in Weeknight Grilling....

Gilling Tonight - is that ANOTHER from C@H?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's your Sunday Dinner Plans? by cjs (I like to do that al...)
Our daughter Allison is coming tonight so She and Jane can go to South Carolina tomorrow and visit relatives for a week. I will send them off with a coffee/cocoa crusted beef tenderloin and creamed spinach--other sides are pending, and a nice bottle of wine.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: What's your Sunday Dinner Plans? by cjs (I like to do that al...)
I'll be interested in your review of that steak. I looked at that, but was afraid there was not enough flavor there. I'd be scared to death to try something new like that. Good luck! Jean, it's in the latest Grilling Book.

Tonight I have Phenomenal Chicken and Pasta in Creamy Pesto Sauce on to make. I found this at allrecipes.com a while back when looking for pesto ideas to use up my basil. It looks really good! My basil needs a MAJOR haircut!

Funny, in years past, my basil did just OK, but my parsley got HUGE...well, until the butterflies found it. This year, the basil is out of control and my parsley can't keep up! I got 3 of each this year to be sure I had enough, but I'm still having a problem with both...too much of one, not enough of the other...HMMMMMM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's your Sunday Dinner Plans? by Gourmet_Mom (I'll be interested i...)
We did make the beer can chicken last night and apparently the bird was huge because there is a lot of leftover chicken. Tony wants chicken enchiladas (need to find a recipe for a tomatillo type sauce) and we'll finally make the crab & corn stuffed japalenos.
  Re: Re: What's your Sunday Dinner Plans? by Trixxee (We did make the beer...)
Quote:

We did make the beer can chicken last night and apparently the bird was huge because there is a lot of leftover chicken. Tony wants chicken enchiladas (need to find a recipe for a tomatillo type sauce) and we'll finally make the crab & corn stuffed japalenos.

LayeredChicken Enchiladas with Tomatillo-cilantro Sauce

2 lbs large tomatillos, husked, rinsed, halved
1 1/4 C low salt chicken broth
10 garlic cloves , peeled
2 C sliced green onions
2 C (packed) coarsely chopped cilantro
1 large serrano chili sliced (with seeds)

12 5 to 6 inch corn tortillas
4 cups cooked chicken (17+ oz) torn into strips
1 lb whole milk mozzarella cheese, cut into strips
1 C whipping cream

Preheat oven to 450. Mix tomatillos, broth,and garlic cloves in large saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil: simmer until tomatillos are soft, about 10 min. Cool slightly and move to processor. Add sliced green onions,chopped cilantro, and sliced chile: blend to a coarse puree. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Overlap 6 tortillas 1n a 13x9x2 inch oval or rectangular baking dish. Top with half of chicken strips and half of the mozzarella strips. Pour half of sauce over. Repeat with second layer. Then pour over the whipping cream. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until bubbling, about 25 min. Cool 10 min and serve.

From Bon Appetit--9/05
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: What's your Sunday Dinner Plans? by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thanks Old Bay! I saw that this morning too on Epicurious.com and I think this the one!
  Re: Re: What's your Sunday Dinner Plans? by Trixxee (Thanks Old Bay! I s...)
I can't find that recipe either. It must be in one of the special books I didn't get.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: What's your Sunday Dinner Plans? by bjcotton (I can't find that re...)
Me too, Billy -

Well, I had to go back to the drafting board, forgot I had catfish thawed out! So, it's going to be catfish picatta (sounds so good) and a butternut squash risotto - still will have the grilled artichokes tho. Wintery food, but it's really crappy out, no rain just, well crappy!

leftovers tomorrow
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's your Sunday Dinner Plans? by cjs (Me too, Billy -[br][...)
Here you go...pic and all! I wouldn't be making the enchiladas, since William doesn't really care for foods like this. I'd like to though. I'll wait and see how HC and her company like it. A side note, the MC calories are much higher than the magazine.
[Image: MargeritaFlankSteak.jpg]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Margarita Flank Steak with Bean Enchiladas

Recipe By :Cuisine at Home, Grilling Tonight
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Saute in 1 T. Olive Oil -- Stir In:
1 cup red onion -- diced
1 teaspoon garlic -- minced
2 cans black beans -- drained, rinsed (15 oz. each)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup goat cheese -- crumbled
Fill -- Top With:
8 flour tortilla -- 6 inch
1 cup monterey jack cheese -- shredded
Combine and Add -- Garnish with:
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup tequila
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 flank steak -- trimmed (1 1/2 pound)
Tomatillo Guacamole
Sour Cream
Lime Wedges

Preheat oven to 425 degrees; coat a 3 quart baking dish with nonstick spray. Preheat grill to medium-high.

Saute onion in oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat until onion softens, 1-2 minutes. Add garlic, cook 1 minute, then stir in beans; crush with a potato masher until chunky. Add broth, bring to a simmer, and reduce until liquid is nearly evaporated. Stir in goat cheese until melted, 2-3 minutes.

Fill each tortilla with 1/3 cup bean mixture, roll to enclose, then place in the prepared dish, seam side down. Top with Jack cheese and bake until it melts and tortillas begin to brown, 15-20 minutes.

Combine citrus juices, tequila, sugar, and salt in a large resealable plastic bag; add steak and marinate 10-15 minutes. Remove from marinade and grill to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and rest 5 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain.

To serve, spoon guacamole on plates, then top with enchiladas and steak slices. Garnish with sour cream and lime wedges.

S(Internet Address):
""
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1290 Calories; 44g Fat (30.9% calories from fat); 54g Protein; 168g Carbohydrate; 24g Dietary Fiber; 53mg Cholesterol; 1501mg Sodium. Exchanges: 9 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 7 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Tomatillo Guacamole

Recipe By :Cuisine at Home, Grilling Tonight
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 avocados -- pitted, chopped
1 cup tomatillos -- husks removed, chopped
1 cup fresh spinach
1/2 cup fresh cilantro -- chopped
1/4 cup cold water
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 jalapeno -- or serrano, chopped
1 scallion -- chopped
Salt to taste

Pulse all ingredients together in a food processor until slightly chunky. (May be made up to 2 days ahead.)

S(Internet Address):
""
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 179 Calories; 16g Fat (72.4% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 19mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 3 Fat.

YIKES...that was WAY too big! But the darn thing won't seem to change. Oh well, I give up!

Edited to add missing step for enchiladas. Oh, and the picture did get fixed....LOL!