REVIEW-Tagliatelle Primavera w/Goat Cheese/Seafood
  Re: (...)
Last week, or there abouts, Trixxee asked about a couple recipes and one caught my eye. I LOVE a good primavera recipe!

ANYWAY, I made three changes to the recipe. First, William is not a big fan of scallops, so I made it with all shrimp. Second, I used fettucine instead of tagliatelle. Finally, I used goat cheese with tomato and basil.

We liked this recipe very much. The colors were very pretty and it would make a pretty dish for company, except that it has to all be done at once and at the last minute. I'm probably not being fair in my assessment of this due to the drama and interruptions when making this. So I will make it again, with the following changes. I really was having a bad night.

Changes:

-I make my own pasta, so it would be much easier to use package or at least make the pasta earlier in the day.
-Cut and chop the veggies earlier, as well as shelling and deviening the shrimp.
-When it's time to cook: Be sure to start pasta water and have all your ingredients out and measured...this thing goes fast like a stir-fry.
-While water is coming to a boil, sear seafood and set aside.(Searing the seafood was the last step in the directions).
-While pasta is cooking, sweat veggies so that your pasta water is ready when it's time to make the sauce. (I had to hold my veggies here to wait on the pasta to cook.) I would also use the same pan as the seafood for the veggies.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: REVIEW-Tagliatelle Primavera w/Goat Cheese/Seafood by Gourmet_Mom (Last week, or there ...)
Oh, I know all about drama at dinner! It's even worse when there's homework/dinner drama during the school year.

Glad you liked it. I like the goat cheese with tomato and basil idea. I'll do that myself next time. Thank you.
  Re: Re: REVIEW-Tagliatelle Primavera w/Goat Cheese/Sea by Trixxee (Oh, I know all about...)
Thanks for the review and tips...

Too bad cooking at home isn't like cooking on TV. I just did a demo earlier and when the wind picked up the director yelled cut and we threw EVERYTHING away and then had to prep and work our way back to where we had been and continue from there. This was after a two plus hour "rain delay" and a GIANT increase in humidity...my tip...from now on just yell cut and start over...yeah right...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: REVIEW-Tagliatelle Primavera w/Goat Cheese/Sea by firechef (Thanks for the revie...)
Yea, I guess that would be called a "Do Over"...If I could "Do Over" last night, I would! It all started when I found out at 5 that my local store didn't have shrimp. I had to make an hour long round trip to get some. THEN...

Andrew's truck was having problems, so he HAD to use his dad's truck to help his sister move. By the time he got the trailer unloaded and ready to go, got the little bit of furniture here to go, and on his way, it was getting dark. He had never been to the current apartment, got lost, his sister is yelling at him, she's calling me and yelling at me, then she says somebody hit the trailer and caused damage to William's truck....hit and run. If that boy didn't have bad luck, he'd have no luck at all!!!! And the drama will continue tonight when Andrew gets home and William actually SEES the damage to his truck! ARGGGG! I think I may need to start drinking NOW!
Daphne
  Re: Re: REVIEW-Tagliatelle Primavera w/Goat Cheese/Sea by Gourmet_Mom (Yea, I guess that wo...)
Yikes...so I guess Andrew is ready for boot camp to avoid Gourmet_Dad???

Didn't the truck get replaced around the time you had car trouble? At least the dinner was good right? How can you share your life with a man that does NOT like scallops?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: REVIEW-Tagliatelle Primavera w/Goat Cheese/Sea by firechef (Yikes...so I guess A...)
The same way you share one who doesn't like pork or lobster...LOL! At least I think it's pork??? HMMMM????....It's something everybody likes...DANG!

Hey, he'll eat them, but he'd rather have shrimp. He has a STRONG opinion about scallops...the idea that they may be skate cut with cookie cutters into scallop shapes is a well known "myth" here. If he was getting them fresh off the boat, he'd eat them with relish!

Yep, I figure Andrew's no longer thinking about waiting until after hunting season and going in February. That doesn't seem to be an option! October it will be! (Crosses fingers and whispers a prayer) The boy may not live 'til February at this rate!!!!
Daphne
  Re: Re: REVIEW-Tagliatelle Primavera w/Goat Cheese/Sea by Gourmet_Mom (The same way you sha...)
When I was five, my parents took me to a restaurant at which they had scallops. They gave me a taste of the scallops they had gotten, and I threw up all over the table. To this day, I still can't stand scallops. Lobster and crab, yes - shrimp and scallops (or any other bivalve mollusks) no.

Yes, I have TRIED scallops since then - not with the same results, fortunately - but I still didn't like them, although there are plenty of things I like now that I didn't like then, such as lobster.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?