Ice cream question (dumb question of the day)
  Re: (...)
Hello, all - I want to make ice cream but I don't have a churn or an ice cream maker = it seems that I read a recipe for making ice cream without those two items but I have a bad case of CRS!!! - does anyone have an answer on this? BTW, I love this forum as well - ~ ~
  Re: Ice cream question (dumb question of the day) by (Hello, all - I want ...)
Well, there's always the old trick of a can of ice cream mix inside a can of ice and you throw it and roll it back and forth - (from camp fire/girl scouts... )

Regular ice cream I think would be darn hard. Some ices, ice milk, sherberts can be put in the freezer and stir with a fork every so often.

I think you deserve to treat yourself to an ice cream maker!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ice cream question (dumb question of the day) by cjs (Well, there's always...)
Quote:

Well, there's always the old trick of a can of ice cream mix inside a can of ice and you throw it and roll it back and forth - (from camp fire/girl scouts... )

Regular ice cream I think would be darn hard. Some ices, ice milk, sherberts can be put in the freezer and stir with a fork every so often.

I think you deserve to treat yourself to an ice cream maker!

We are so lucky to have a person with us who will tell it like it is. Thanks Jean.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Ice cream question (dumb question of the day) by cjs (Well, there's always...)
Quote:

Hmmm... Maybe put it between the pedals of a stationary bike? LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Ice cream question (dumb question of the day) by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I've seen ice cream making "balls" that you throw everything in and do like Jean said...looks like great fun but then again so did making butter in grade school until you tried doing it again over summer holiday and decided it was not so much fun.

Ditto on the treat yourself to an ice cream maker!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Ice cream question (dumb question of the day) by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
well, it looks like Mister and I will have to go "gadget" shopping - It's one of foods that I want every now and then but not really often enough to get the maker but what the heck, we love gadgets and we were off to the gadget store some time this week for an another instant read meat thermometer - In the after life I am going to have a BIG kitchen with a gazillion gadget garages!!! LOLOL
  Re: Re: Ice cream question-thanks a bunch by (well, it looks like ...)
Sonja, when you get your ice cream maker, I hope you'll give this one a try - it's my absolute favorite ice cream to make!!

LEMON-LUSCIOUS ICE CREAM

Makes ~ 3 1/2 cups

4 lg. egg yolks
1 cup sugar, divided
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
6 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 T. unsalted butter, softened
pinch of salt
1 1/2 c heavy cream
1/2 c milk
4 tsp. vodka, optional (uhhhhh, I used...)
1/2 tsp. Cobasan, optional (did not use)

Have ready near the range a strainer suspended over a medium bowl.

In a heavy nonreactive saucepan, w/a wooden spoon, beat the yolks & 3/4 c. of the sugar till well blended. Stir in the lemon zest, juice, butter, & salt.

Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, till the mixture is thickened & resembles hollandaise sauce; it should thickly coat the wooden spoon but still be liquid enuf to pour.

The mixture willl change from translucent to opaque & begin to take on a yellow color on the back of the spoon. (196°) The mixture must not be allowed to boil or it will curdle. Whenever steam appears, remove the pan briefly from the heat, stirring constantly to keep the mixture from boiling.

When the mixture has thickened, pour it at once into the strainer.
Press w/the back of a spoon till only a coarse residue remains. Discard the residue.

In a med. bowl, combine the cream & milk. Whisk in the remaining sugar till dissolved. Whisk this mixture into the curd. Cover tightly & refrigerate it for at least 1 hour or till well chilled.

Stir in the opt. vodka & Cobasan. Freeze in an ice cream maker. Allow the ice cream to ripen for at least 2 hours before serving. It it has been held longer and is very hard, allow it to sit refrigerated or at room temp. till softened and creamy.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ice cream question-thanks a bunch by cjs (Sonja, when you get ...)
Oh, dear God - Lemon is one of my favorite "anythings" - I especially love lemon custard ice cream - your recipe sounds just wonderful - right now I am on a lemon muffin top cookie binge - they are so rich - I eat 1/4th of one cookie a day - they are so lemony that Mister said they needed to be moved from the regular cookie dish(I keep all the cookies in a covered glass cake dish) to their own since now all the cookies have a lemon taste!!! - We are going gadget shopping tomorrow since we need some spice replacements. There is a store/warehouse online place here in Savannah called Spices, Etc. (www.spicesetc.com) that we buy some of our bulk spices from so I am salivating thinking of our trip out tomorrow!!! Thanks, Jean ~ ~
  Re: Ice cream question (dumb question of the day) by (Hello, all - I want ...)
Lemon Custard Ice Cream is one of my favorites too and I never see it anywhere.
  Re: Re: Ice cream question (dumb question of the day) by Trixxee (Lemon Custard Ice Cr...)
There is a shop here in Savannah that has been in business since the 40's - (they have opened and closed a few times in hard times) and that is the only place I have ever seen it -