Guiness Pot Roast
  Re: (...)
I have 2 Bock beers left from the rib sauce recipe and am not sure I can get a stout beer, such as Guiness. Do I have William look in Southport tomorrow, or make do with the Bock beer?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Guiness Pot Roast by Gourmet_Mom (I have 2 Bock beers ...)
I have never made the Guiness pot roast, but I do love beer. I can tell you for certain that it will not taste the same. Who knows, you may be onto something. Guiness has such a distinct flavor. It is usually available in every store, so I don't think you would have trouble finding it. But if you feel like experimenting, use the bock. Just know it wont be the same. Wouldn't it be fun if one of us could make it with bock and the other with Guiness and then have a sampling?
So what was the first thing you ate after starving for a day?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Guiness Pot Roast by chef_Tab (I have never made th...)
I would try it with the bock!! I love bock--these are the times that try our souls--to bock or not to bock--I will assure you it will be good. This is how recipes are born!!!!! Cherrio, Daphne, and please let us know how it comes out.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Guiness Pot Roast by Gourmet_Mom (I have 2 Bock beers ...)
I'd absolutely go with the Bock-I ended up with the rest of the 6 pk of Guinness when I made this and you know what that means

I'm trying so hard to cut costs, so I'd definately use something I had on hand, if it was in the neighborhood.

Hope you enjoy it, I did!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Guiness Pot Roast by pjcooks (I'd absolutely go w...)
If the local grocer has the Guiness or ANY stout, I'll get it. I'll just have to come up with some recipes to use the rest of the beer in....LOL!!! Maybe a BBQ sauce. I did find a brisket at the nice grocer in Southport today! I don't drink it. (Although, some of the kids do...I'll have to hide it...LOL!)

Otherwise, I'll go with the Bock. I'll let you know! Thanks you guys!

Hey PJ, how'd you like the pot roast, BTW!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Guiness Pot Roast by Gourmet_Mom (If the local grocer ...)
I would use the bock if that's what I had on hand. We have a local liquor store called Friar Tuck's that lets customers make their own assorted six packs of beer. The option comes in handy if you want to just try something, or want just one bottle for a recipe.
It was a hit, Daphne, the kids loved it!

HC, what a neat idea. Once upon a time the Mom and Pop stores would let you break a six pack but those are all gone now, and the gas station stores that replaced them won't let you do that

Sometimes, all you want is one beer.

PJ
PJ
you can make Guiness floats with the leftovers! But I think you would need to like Guiness to enjoy a Guiness float. It is also good for beer batter recipes and stews. Especially good in Shepards Pie. Just some ideas if you end up buying it. Our World Market lets you buy mix and match 6 packs.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Guiness Pot Roast by chef_Tab (you can make Guiness...)
Guiness Floats??? I must profess an instant love of anyone who thinks like that!!! Our Hy-Vee Liquors does the mix and match as well not too far from here.

I do an "Irish Beef Stew" that calls for a crock pot and TWO bottles of Guiness...smells like a brewery by the time all is said and done. Did it for a St. Patrick's Day luncheon we catered a couple of years back. One of the doctors said it made the whole office smell like a brewery but it was dang good.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Guiness Pot Roast by firechef (Guiness Floats??? I...)
guiness floats???? Could they be anywhere as good as these??? If so, bring them on!

* Exported from MasterCook *

DRUNKEN FLOATS

1 serving

In a tall glass (I used margrita glasses), add 1 scoop of Vanilla ice cream (I used Coffee). Pour 2 shots of vanilla vodka over the ice cream.

Fill glass the rest of the way with root beer. Drizzle chocolate syrup and/or 1 more shot of Vanilla Vodka on top.

(I put the chocolate sauce in the glass first, then the ice cream - the layers looked pretty) Serve with a spoon & a straw. Man, these are good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com