Healthy pizza?? Too good to believe!
  Re: (...)
Jennifer has been wanting pizza. Bob and I have been wanting pizza, but we're doing this high fiber/semi-Southbeach eating plan. Yesterday I look around and finally (thank you Google) a whole wheat pizza dough that sounded right up our alley!

To top it off - this was the easiest pizza dough I've ever worked with and it made wonderful thin crust pizzas (baked on the grill). We have put this on the keeper list - no sauce, just some olive oil, cheese, garden fresh tomatoes, and roasted red peppers. Yum.

I did find that I needed about 1/4 c. extra flour while kneading it in the KA to get a "pizza dough" not an 18 hour bread dough.

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
Recipe created by Kathleen Daelemans

If you've never made pizza dough before, or if you have and wish you hadn't, you'll be delightfully surprised at how simple this recipe is. The dough keeps marvelously well in the refrigerator overnight or in the freezer.

Ingredients:
Makes 2 thick crust pizzas or 4 thin crust pizzas

* 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
* 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
* 2 packages dry active yeast
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon sugar
* 1 1/2 lukewarm water from the tap
* 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
* Flour for the work surface
* Sprinkling of cornmeal

Place flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a mixer fitted with a dough hook. While mixer is running, gradually add water and knead on low speed until dough is firm and smooth, about ten minutes. Turn machine off.

Pour oil down inside of bowl. Turn on low once more for 15 seconds to coat inside of bowl and all surfaces of dough with the oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm spot until doubled in bulk, about two hours.

Preheat your oven to highest setting, 500° or 550°F. If using a pizza stone, place stone in oven on bottom rack, preheat oven one hour ahead. Punch dough down, cut in half. On generously floured work surface, place one half of dough.

By hand, form dough loosely into a ball, stretch into a circle. Using a floured rolling pin, roll dough into large circle until very thin. Don't worry if your circle isn't perfect and if you get a hole; just pinch edges back together.

To prevent dough from sticking to counter, turn dough over, add flour to dough, counter and rolling pin as needed. Sprinkle pizza peel or cookie sheet generously with cornmeal. Transfer dough to pizza peel or cookie sheet with no lip. Add toppings.

Slide dough onto pizza stone or place cookie sheet with pizza on bottom rack. Bake 10–12 minutes or until golden. To remove pizza from oven stone, slide cookie sheet under dough onto another cookie sheet, slice and serve immediately.

Roll out remaining dough and top with desired toppings or freeze in freezer bags.

Recommended technique: Make double batches of the dough, divide and freeze leftovers so you've never got an excuse to eat out. Place a bag of dough on the counter before you leave for work. By the time you cruise in from your commute, the dough will be ready to roll, top and bake.

From the book Cooking Thin with Chef Kathleen
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Healthy pizza?? Too good to believe! by Harborwitch (Jennifer has been wa...)
Thanks for sharing...I LOVE whole wheat pizza! We eat a somewhat healthy pizza (it does have a whole wheat crust afterall) at a place about 45 miles away. Each piece weighs nearly a pound with all of the REAL local cheese they put on top of the fresh local toppings. They give you honey for the crust...something odd about the savory taste of the remains of sauce and seasonings and then the sweet of the honey on the soft thick warm whole wheat crust...

Will try this recipe with both healthy and not so healthy pizzas in the near future...thanks for sharing!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Healthy pizza?? Too good to believe! by firechef (Thanks for sharing.....)
Well, doesn't this look good! I'll give this a try the next time we do pizza. Thanks for sharing!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Healthy pizza?? Too good to believe! by Harborwitch (Jennifer has been wa...)
I make a sun-dried tomato, basil pesto and use it for a pizza topping--really good--not sure it fits the diet, but healthy.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Healthy pizza?? Too good to believe! by Old Bay (I make a sun-dried t...)
That sounds really good - and fine on the diet. About all we're eliminating is refined white stuff (unless it's cheese, yogurt, etc. Thank you for the great idea!!
  Re: Re: Healthy pizza?? Too good to believe! by Harborwitch (That sounds really g...)
"sun-dried tomato, basil pesto" - yes, that's also one of our favorites.

I use whole wheat in my pizza dough recipe not quite those proportions tho, will play with it. But, I always add garlic, onion powders and dried basil & oregano to the dough also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Healthy pizza?? Too good to believe! by Harborwitch (That sounds really g...)
I have duly copied your recipe--we like whole wheat--thanks, Bill
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Healthy pizza?? Too good to believe! by cjs ("sun-dried tomato, b...)
I forgot to mention that I added a couple teaspoons of Billy's Gourmet Garlic. Pizza perfection. I am giving some thought to playing with some cracked wheat in it too - I really love the nuttiness it gives.