Update - My father... and my kitchen
  Re: (...)
Just a quick update for you all. My dad is still in intensive care. He still cannot speak because of the ventilator. They are planning another operation due to an abcess (sp?) in his stomach. His wife, for whatever reason, is not allowing family members to get updates on him from the hospital. I have to get information from his old buddy, who dated a friend of my dad's wife. Crazy huh? But it is what it is. He is still in critical condition.

Thanks again for your well wishes and prayers, we all know it helps a lot.

As for the kitchen... this has been a long road and it's still not done. I should have a hood vent on Monday (my fingers are crossed right now) and I should have a working kitchen SOOON! Maybe 2 weeks. I have been unpacking things and found the box with my cookbooks today. They are like old friends. I will find a good spot for them.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Update - My father... and my kitchen by luvnit (Just a quick update ...)
Thanx for the updates. Sorry to hear that Dad isn't out of the woods yet. And, it won't be too soon before you'll be back in the kitchen. You won't want to eat anything cooked in a microwave for a REALLY long time.

I am more cognizant about news features and such on autism and think about you and your work when I hear them. There was a really interesting story on NPR yesterday about services and health care available in the US and abroad for these types of conditions. We have young woman with Asperger's working in my office. She is a magnificent file clerk. I know her mother and she told me they went to a conference in Florida recently and learned that about 90% of adults with Asperger's are unemployed. They are so grateful for their daughter's employment situation.
  Re: Re: Update - My father... and my kitchen by HomeCulinarian (Thanx for the update...)
WOW Laura, I had no idea he would still be having such a hard time. How terrible! I will continue to pray for him.

Bless your heart, it has been a rollercoaster summer for you. I can understand your feelings about the cookbooks. Hang in there.

Thanks for the update, and I hope things will calm down soon and we'll get to see you more!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Update - My father... and my kitchen by Gourmet_Mom (WOW Laura, I had no ...)
Wow again! What a summer you have had! What a shame about you Dad.

hang in there - you're on the down stretch it sounds like.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Oh Laura I hope your father recovers very soon. We'll add him to our prayers.

I can imagine how excited you're getting about the kitchen! I'd be jumping up and down!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Update - My father... and my kitchen by Harborwitch (Oh Laura I hope your...)
Laura - hope your father will be improving soon and you can see him.

will keep him in my prayers

Hope your new kitchen will be done shortly- I am so envious of that

stove.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
[blockquote]Quote:

Just a quick update for you all. My dad is still in intensive care. He still cannot speak because of the ventilator. They are planning another operation due to an abcess (sp?) in his stomach. His wife, for whatever reason, is not allowing family members to get updates on him from the hospital. I have to get information from his old buddy, who dated a friend of my dad's wife. Crazy huh? But it is what it is. He is still in critical condition.

Just stay in control and be there for him. All will come clear at some point.
The best scenario?--he will be fine, and because of this, when it becomes common knowledge you will never have to go thru this again. I pray for you and your Dad. Be well, Bill
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Update - My father... and my kitchen by HomeCulinarian (Thanx for the update...)
From what I understand he is still in critical condition and making very small steps forward NOT backward, so that is great news. This is going to be a very long recover process for him. My grandpa told me about a friend of his that had stomach cancer. I guess the guy was in similar shape for a very long time after a surgery he had. He did recover, but it took quite a while. I definitely thought he would be home by now recouperating, but he's not.

Thanks again for all of the support and prayers on his behalf.

As for the kitchen... with some planning (i.e. hauling water by bucket to the sink and a match to the burners) I am able to do some cooking (thank heaven). I have only three pans since I cannot find my set yet in all the boxes. A big aluminum pot (I used to use it for boiling corn on the cob), a cast iron skillet, and a one quart oval Le Crueset. I borrowed a strainer from someone last night so I could make pasta. I broiled some small rib eyes in the small broiler. Then I made a pasta with a creamy sauce and shrimp. I don't think I will have a micro in the new kitchen, I am truely tired of microwaved food and don't plan to use one for a REALLY long time. I am glad to know someone can understand my pain! Thank you.

On another note:
Quote:

I am more cognizant about news features and such on autism and think about you and your work when I hear them. There was a really interesting story on NPR yesterday about services and health care available in the US and abroad for these types of conditions. We have young woman with Asperger's working in my office. She is a magnificent file clerk. I know her mother and she told me they went to a conference in Florida recently and learned that about 90% of adults with Asperger's are unemployed. They are so grateful for their daughter's employment situation.

That is so wonderful that their daughter is employed. I often wonder what my daughter will be able to do when she is older. I know my child is very high functioning, and has some unique skills emerging (she keeps track of the calendar - month, date, year, special holidays, seasons, people's birthdays, moon, etc.) she does it all by memory it's quite fascinating to hear her talk about certain things. But turning these unique skills into a job can be tough. I often thought that working at a library filing books would be good for someone with autism/asperger's. Filing is a very great activity for those on the spectrum. There is a specific place for EVERYTHING, no grey areas, all very concrete. I am amazed that so many adults are unemployed, but I am not surprised. I hope that with all of the Early Intervention they are providing to young children with autism, that this statistic will change dramatically in the future.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Update - My father... and my kitchen by luvnit (From what I understa...)
Our File Clerk almost never misfiles anything. She remade all of the personnel files for my assistant, which was a 5 drawer cabinet packed full - and the compliment was "if files can be beautiful, these are!" Our file clerk isn't fast, but she is so accurate we all spend much less time looking for things. There is some additional oversight needed, but if she understands her job and her priorities, she's just great. We gave her a chance because she has an associates degree in accounting and I've known her and her family for a long time. She couldn't get past any interviews because she would just go silent when she doesn't know the answer. Everyone accepts and understands her, so it's a good situation.
Wow, Laura, I'm amazed at all you've been through this summer. My prayers are with your family as well. I hope things improve soon.

Can't wait to see that new kitchen!

PJ
PJ